Spinosad has systemic control in tomato

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Interesting article here. In the spinosad study mites were the target, but in my way of thinking it would most likely behave as it does for topical use, though concentration should be lower systemically. I was looking for a homemade spinosad recipe for pets and came across this and thought I would share it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Interesting article here. In the spinosad study mites were the target, but in my way of thinking it would most likely behave as it does for topical use, though concentration should be lower systemically. I was looking for a homemade spinosad recipe for pets and came across this and thought I would share it.
What's on your mind about spinosad for pets? There is an oral flea/tick product that really works good called Comfortis. Ranchers and horseman around here spray spinosad on their cattle and horses for flies. In the article it says that spinosad applied to roots has good control of spider mites. Well, the only way to get spinosad to the roots of tomatoes is with a soil drench and I can personally confirm that a soil drench of spinosad DOES NOT control spider mites, at all. It does kill them when sprayed fairly well but mites have such a convoluted reproductive cycle that the one's it kills is minor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They charge my wife dearly for the tiny vials we put on pets. Grandpa used to have me dip his squirrel dogs. I am just being cheap...er, practical. I have a whole bottle of spinosad on the shelf and some non ionic adjuvant for spraying. I know its some oil, my guess is they get 25 bucks per cat per month for something I might already have for pennies. Maybe I could get some more useless cable channels for the savings. I do not know.

I think the article said they dipped roots, rather than spray after transplant. I got the impression some root contact for some period of time was necessary. That perceived fact also leads me to believe there cannot be much inside the plant. And Toxicity is concentration according to the tobacco users I know.

Last edited:

Ask a Question