Growing your indoor plants in water

Reaction score
All the photos are gorgeous especially the hyacinths and Maddie's pothos, but are there any drawbacks to not growing them in dirt? Do you add anything to the water so that they get nutrients?
Sorry, I seemed to have missed your question earlier. I am still experimenting with growing plants in water.. I currently add liquid fertilizer in water once in a month.
The are more advantages than disadvantages to growing plants in water..
they are less messy,
they don't die from over water or under watering ,
there are less pests and
you can have them all around your home provided you are able to provide natural or artificial light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think less pests is one of the biggest advantages. Since last year I've been fighting with these nasty springtails and nothing seems too work. I tried only natural remedies, I guess I'll have too buy some chemicals even thought I don't like it. Unfortunately it's not possible to grow miniature roses in water:(

Reaction score
I think less pests is one of the biggest advantages. Since last year I've been fighting with these nasty springtails and nothing seems too work. I tried only natural remedies, I guess I'll have too buy some chemicals even thought I don't like it. Unfortunately it's not possible to grow miniature roses in water:(
Claudine I have read that roses can be grown hydroponically.. in a proper kit. I am not sure if you can do this like we do with other plants. I do know for sure that you can start a plant cutting this way but beyond a point they do have to get into the soil. You should try pothos and other water loving plants in your room. They will make your room look like a paradise.

Reaction score
I have tried this earlier but somehow I have not found all plants doing well in water. I have added more plants to the list now.. I hope my success with these will make me bold enough to try this with other plants.
Is there any good brand of hydroponic nutrient that you use for your vegetables or the regular liquid fertilizer for vegetable plants is enough?
Personally I have a bias for an Australian brand: Nutrifield.
But it wouldn't really matter what brand hydroponic nutrient you used. Just get the cheapest Hydro nutrient you can find, but normal fertilizer won't do the job on it's own since they usually use the beneficial bacteria in soil to break things down, a Hydro nutrient is provided in the exact form required for a plant to absorb it right away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine I have read that roses can be grown hydroponically.. in a proper kit. I am not sure if you can do this like we do with other plants. I do know for sure that you can start a plant cutting this way but beyond a point they do have to get into the soil. You should try pothos and other water loving plants in your room. They will make your room look like a paradise.

Yes, I think I'll try to do this with other plants, I wouldn't risk moving my roses to water, they're way too important to me to run experiments on them:D . But I'm tempted to try growing tulips in water:)

Reaction score
Personally I have a bias for an Australian brand: Nutrifield.
But it wouldn't really matter what brand hydroponic nutrient you used. Just get the cheapest Hydro nutrient you can find, but normal fertilizer won't do the job on it's own since they usually use the beneficial bacteria in soil to break things down, a Hydro nutrient is provided in the exact form required for a plant to absorb it right away.
Thanks for that tip Cjk85. I would have thought all fertilizers work well. I will get myself a hydro nutrient if I can get it here. I will have to do some checking around. Appreciate this.

@ Claudine, I am not suggesting that you experiment with your roses..You will find that growing plants in water is really easy.I am sure you will do well with your tulips and have them flowering in your room this spring.

Reaction score
I was wondering about the spring bulbs that can be grown in water, like tulips. Once the blooms are done, do you leave the bulbs in the water year-round, or do you gather up the leaves until they die and save the bulb for next year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have so enjoyed reading this thread of bulbs and plants in water.

I am growing to try this .

I love my orchids Maddie but never tried growing in water.

Hyacinth many yrs ago in water I have grown but only them.

This is so interesting.Thankyou

Reaction score
I have tried doing this with green onion, but all it did was rot! I don't know what I did wrong. How often do you have to change out your water an does it have to be right by a window? I'm so lost!!

Reaction score
It all looks so beautiful... I'm really inspired and would like to try start growing hyacinths.. However I am thinking how does the water remain so clean? :)

Reaction score
I have never entertain the thought of growing plants in water before but seeing how beautiful and attractive they are i think i am tempted to get started.

Reaction score
I once kept a miniature African violet in a wine glass with aquarium pebbles to support the roots in water. I added a couple of drops of Schultz fertilizer once in a while. Currently all I have in water is a cutting of my mom's Philodendren. She passed away 10 years ago. I have the original plant and when I was doing cleanup a bit broke off. I just couldn't bring myself to throw away a perfectly good vine. It seems happy enough, I know it will be good in there for a long time as long as I keep it clean.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Forced bulbs are so pretty. When planting bulbs in a vase the bulbs should not be in water. Special vases are made to fit the size of different types of bulbs. Just the roots touch the water otherwise the bulb might rot. They also don't usually reproduce new bulbs for the next year so are throw aways after they are finished blooming.

Claudine that is a wonderful assortment of bulb forcing vases.

I grow my philodendrons in water and pebbles. They do well that way. Some have been growing this way for a decade or more.

I didn't know orchids could be grown in water. The roots rot so easily I have to treat mine like succulents to keep from killing them with love. Would love to see photos of which variety of orchid you are successful with Maddie. Growing plants in water is much less work.

Last edited:

Ask a Question