Indoor Growing

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm stuck in cold Canada, but would love to start growing some food (yes, i'm impatient haha).

What are good vegetables to grow indoors? Also, are there any that don't require tons of sunlight? The days are gloomy here!

Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Consider planting peppers, eggplants and tomatoes. You can grow then go hanging baskets or in window boxes. You must make sure that they get enough sunlight or you provide artificial light for them to grow. You can also consider growing mushrooms since they don't need light. Other crops include potatoes, carrots, peas and beans.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only things I can grow indoor are herbs on my kitchen window sill, but they are not very healthy looking either since the lack of sunlight made them so wimpy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
There are lots of hardy brassicas which grow well in cool weather without ideal light.
Peas. Homegrown peas are delicious in a way that is just not possible from shop-bought.
Fava (Broad beans) are hardy too.
Beetroot, onions...there's loads of options.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
namedparadise, did you decide on anything? Fluorescent "shoplights" aren't terribly expensive, should you want to get artificial lights. Maybe you could build your own simple greenhouse outdoors?

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
As much as I would love to grow indoors or should I say by my window, I am scared of this desert weather. It fluctuates like a woman on hormonal pills. My neighbor has tried to grow vegetables as well but after a few days, they are dead. Is there something we are not doing right or something we should be doing and overlooking?

Any advice will greatly help because I love the presence of plants in and around the home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I would suggest lettuce as I had seen in a hotel in Singapore. At first I thought they were plastic for decoration but the hotel manager said they eat those lettuce. Oh, really? So I had to touch it to confirm that they were real lettuce. And since there was no sunlight, I wonder how it was thriving. Maybe it is the growth light that was discussed in another thread. Here is the pic of those lettuce that I already had posted in another thread.
IMG_7285 lettuce indoor.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Thanks for the advice @Corzhens. I would try lettuce as you have suggested and I love them in my sandwiches and salad so it serves the purpose of having a plant indoors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
How about sprouts? I recommend them to everyone, because they're cheap, very easy to grow and really healthy. And of course they're delicious:)
For example, radish sprouts taste like fresh radishes.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Mushrooms are quite good to grow indoors because they can be grown any time of the year. You can buy a special compost packed in plastic bags with spawn and the only thing you require to do is to keep them in a draft free environment for them to grow like an attic or cupboard. Alternatively, you can get straw and put it in plastic bags and then buy an activator to make compost. When the heat is down, put the compost in a sterile plastic bucket and place in a dark place to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grow indoors in the winter via hydroponics. I grow lettuce, tomatoes, peppers and herbs. I have 3 aerogardens, one Emily's Garden, 2 DWC buckets and one cloner that I use to grow herbs, I grow the tomatoes in the DWC buckets, Aerogardens I grow different kinds of lettuce. The herbs I grow in the cloner are different kinds of basil, mexican oregano, different kinds of parsley and cilantro.

Ask a Question