Growing indoor strawberries, need help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. My name is Jeff. I am going to try and grow strawberries indoors. I am using the strawberries to make fresh berries with my two daughters. I heard about a tower, but I don't know what materials are needed. Does anyone have suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
Hi, Jeff...unless you have a bright, sunny window or a plug-in unit with actual grow lights...growing strawberries will be pretty impossible. If you have that bright window, you will have to turn the pot periodically for the rays to hit both sides of pot. The window needs to be so bright, that it would probably fade a tablecloth. That's how much sun strawberries need. I wish you the best.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Jeff.:)
To get strawberries to flower they need to have a cold spell. Then you can bring them in, but as sparkles has said they need a lot of light. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, Jeff...unless you have a bright, sunny window or a plug-in unit with actual grow lights...growing strawberries will be pretty impossible. If you have that bright window, you will have to turn the pot periodically for the rays to hit both sides of pot. The window needs to be so bright, that it would probably fade a tablecloth. That's how much sun strawberries need. I wish you the best.

I live in Arizona. It is sunny all of the time. Perhaps that will be enough. I will try and see what happens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums Jeff.:)
To get strawberries to flower they need to have a cold spell. Then you can bring them in, but as sparkles has said they need a lot of light. :)

I am not familiar with the cold spell. Could you explain that more? I am very new to this, but want to make it work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Every goes back to where a plant comes from, and strawberry had cold winter. If the seed does not go through a cold spell, it will think it is still summer and will wait to germinate. If it does go through a cold spell, it will then think the warmth it feels is spring, and will germinate. Sometimes this heating and cooling has even more cycles. This layering is referred to as stratification.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am learning a lot. I will gather as much information as I can before I start growing the strawberries. It is so helpful getting this advice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see quite a few LED growing lights available online. Does anyone have a recommendation on a unit they may have had good experience with?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Matt. I'll have to ask about the LED. I am still gethering information on the strawberries. It's not as easy as I thought it would be. I just did a terrarium project with my daughters getting a feel for growing. How are things going on your end?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b
46d4d9136c36a264e9bf29574b35dba6.jpg

i took this pic from google , the idea is same , u can find many ways , u can watch on utube too , theres no special trick , just need to have some wholes at the bottom , u can hang this pipe too or create a stand , u can drill holes or make cuts then heat it with dryer to make small pockets facing upwards .

its my 1st year growing strawberries , my climate is very different so i may not be able to help u precisely but what i read is same that they need full sun , we do have strong sun but i am not giving it more then 5 hours and it still gave fruits already

In my warmer climate , it gives fruit in spring and early winter , it stays alive or weakens some die in mid summers but do not bloom , i think thats what they mean that it needs some cold to bloom , other theory i think some one mentioned is about its seed , they say seed need to go thru cold , some freeze it then sows it to germinate .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b
I see quite a few LED growing lights available online. Does anyone have a recommendation on a unit they may have had good experience with?
These look good , this guy has done some tests with different lights , u can see his videos
Apollo UFO vs HHE COB: LED Grow Light Experiment (Hydroponic Lettuce) - YouTube

Ask a Question