Indoor herb growing HELP

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I recently crafted a seeding shelf, and have been growing basil, and other herbs. They've come along well, however within the past week or so, white blobs have formed on some of the plants.

The only recently changes I can think of are;

1) I switched from 2 bulb 2 foot floresent lights using 1 cool and 1 warm white. To 4 bulb 4 foot floresent lights using 2 warm, and 2 "sunlight" bulbs.

2) I also tried watering from the bottom of the trays about 2 weeks ago, but I think I filled the bottom trays up too much because it took a very long time before the soil dried up.

It was suggested it might be spider mites by my local nursery worker, but I see no signs of them on the bottom of the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Picture of plant issue

Attachments

• 20170304_114448.jpg
    20170304_114448.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 271
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Eric, that looks like sun scald to me, but that's not likely, since you are using florescent lights. Sun scald happens when a plant is watered from overhead, and the water droplets act like prisms, intensifying the light and causing the plant equivalent of sunburn.
When plants in my starter trays need watering, I put them in a different tray with about 1" of water, and when that water is sucked up and the top of the soil is moist, I move the plants back to a dry tray. Try that for your starts.
Spider mites are sometimes hard to spot. Take a white sheet of paper and gently tap the leaves of the affected plants over the paper. If there are mites, they will be easier to spot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like Sun damage to me. How close are the lights to the plants? Most of the indoor setups that I've seen include an adjustable lighting set up. Meaning once the plants get close enough to the light you can pull the up farther away from the plants.

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
definitely light damage, move them further away..good luck and happy growing

Ask a Question