Growing your indoor plants in water

Reaction score
I have always loved the idea of growing plants in glass jars and wine glasses. They look incredibly beautiful.. What are the kinds of plants you have tried to grow this way.. Currently I have one healthy looking pothos, one orchid and one ivy. I want to grow different varieties of indoor plants in water.. Do you have any suggestion as to which plants take well to this kind of growing environment?
Share your experience here.. I will post my photo graphs later here.. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I haven't tried it yet but I plan to - because it looks so gorgeous!:D Just look at these hyacinths:

IMG_20591_edited.jpg

IMG_2073_edited.JPG

Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet but I plan to - because it looks so gorgeous!:D Just look at these hyacinths:

IMG_20591_edited.jpg

IMG_2073_edited.JPG
Claudine they look like works of art.. the roots especially.. I am serious about growing plants in water.. Maybe it is time to get myself a water Hyacinth. That weed is all over the place here.. The flowers look like these but I would say even more prettier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hyacinths are such beautiful plants, aren't they? I love their scent. My Aunt used to grow them, they somehow remind me of childhood.
I like how delicate these roots look.

Reaction score
@ Claudine, just the roots alone look really gorgeous.
Here is another plant you can grow and make them bloom in water
DSC_1262.jpg

I also learned that philodendrons do well in water.. so do the arrowhead plant.. and diffenbachias grow well in water.. :) so there are a few more plants for me to experiment with. Sadly none of those I have are flowering plants.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grow seeds in water, like a rooted sweet potato plant or a avocado seed.

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my plants growing in water.. I have now used crystal medium in some containers.
plants growing in water (1 of 1).jpg

I had some problems with this picture as I had it in RAW format.. I just found the time to convert it now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maddie, they're gorgeous!:D They look very healthy and beautiful, especially the on on the right has very nice roots:)

Reaction score
Thanks Claudine. Yes the pothos is indeed very healthy and growing really well. I am happy with it. The ivy on the other hand has been slow.. the orchid is generally slow.. so I don't expect much from it but to stay fresh and grow a bit.. Hopefully I will have some flowers sometime. It has these lovely pink flowers with a cross on top of it.
Now, I have added some arrow head plants arowhead plants, Cyperus alternifolius and some spider plants. Let me see how they grow. I am currently not investing much in glass containers.. once they grow well I might think of getting some really good looking vases for my plants. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think these jars look really good - they're simple but it's their charm:)

I adore how these tulips look, aren't they gorgeous? I love tulips, I had no idea you can grow them in water like this:

tulip-bulbs.jpg

Reaction score
Oh wow! I wish I could have some tulips here.. I wonder if this would work with Amaryllis
Here I found one picture.. maybe I should try it.
Amaryllis
amaryllis_vases4_th.JPG

Reaction score
All the photos are gorgeous especially the hyacinths and Maddie's pothos, but are there any drawbacks to not growing them in dirt? Do you add anything to the water so that they get nutrients?

Reaction score
I have always loved the idea of growing plants in glass jars and wine glasses. They look incredibly beautiful.. What are the kinds of plants you have tried to grow this way.. Currently I have one healthy looking pothos, one orchid and one ivy. I want to grow different varieties of indoor plants in water.. Do you have any suggestion as to which plants take well to this kind of growing environment?
Share your experience here.. I will post my photo graphs later here.. Thanks.
You could do this with any type of plant if you added some hydroponic nutrient to the water.

Reaction score
You could do this with any type of plant if you added some hydroponic nutrient to the water.
I have tried this earlier but somehow I have not found all plants doing well in water. I have added more plants to the list now.. I hope my success with these will make me bold enough to try this with other plants.
Is there any good brand of hydroponic nutrient that you use for your vegetables or the regular liquid fertilizer for vegetable plants is enough?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'll grow tulips in water, it's decided:D . I just need to buy some bulbs. It just looks so wonderful, it feels like spring:

Tulip1Comp-187x300.jpg

And here are some nice vases:

tulip_and_acorn_vases_27-11-2011.JPG

Ask a Question