grass in gravel driveway

Reaction score
Country
United States
More lawn care than gardening. I recall from high school history, some victor of a battle, they "salted the ground" to not allow anything to grow where their enemy lived.That said, I want to do that to the grass growing through my gravel driveway. Any advice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
More lawn care than gardening. I recall from high school history, some victor of a battle, they "salted the ground" to not allow anything to grow where their enemy lived.That said, I want to do that to the grass growing through my gravel driveway. Any advice?
Enough salt and it will do the job. But make sure that rain runoff goes into the street instead of your or your neighbors lawn.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
An alternative would be to apply a limestone mix that is used for foundations. (not sure of it's name) It packs hard like cement and should be sold at your local landscaping stores for reasonable prices. Like 30$ a yard for it here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Get a pump sprayer (big box store, hardware store) and fill it with vinegar. Vinegar is an herbicide so don't get it on valued plants, but it will take out grass. The spray will have to be reapplied when the grass reappears, as it will:(.Wish my flowers were as hardy and persistent as grass in unwanted places!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mom always said use vinegar! (y) :) If you can, try to find one with a higher acid content. You can also add lemon juice to increase the acidity.

There are many types of vinegar. The most popular type is apple cider vinegar. It is usually a mixture of apple cider, vinegar and water reduced to five percent acidity for more uniform pickling and table strength. Pickling vinegars may go up to 18 percent acidity. Generally, the stronger the acidity level of a vinegar, the stronger the vinegar's weed killing power will be. It is the acetic acid in vinegar which works to kill undesirable plants.
http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Recipe_for_Vinegar_Weed_Killer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, I never knew why vinegar was an herbicide--now, thanks to your post, I do.
I've just used the $2.49 a gallon white vinegar for an herbicide. I have apple cider vinegar which I use for vinaigrettes--I'd hate to waste it on a dandelion!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
:ROFLMAO: marlingardener, your post made me curious, so I looked and found a website that said most household vinegars have an acid content of 5%. Balsamic and White wine come in highest at around 6-7%. That's some expensive weed killer! :cautious:

Upon re-reading my post, and looking at "pickling vinegar," I'm wondering if I may have found a use for all the pickle juice left at the bottom of a jar. Seems a waste to dump it down the sink, and :eek: I don't want to put it in my compost. Weed-killer...hmm.

unsure300, I've always gone straight to vinegar because I like "pretty much foolproof," but I also remember Mom telling me that pouring boiling water on a plant will often kill it to the roots. You might have to "water it," by which I mean pour slowly, directly on the plant, allowing the heat to get down to the roots. I don't know how tough your grass is, but "free and experimental" might be worth a shot. (And then come back and tell us if it worked!!) :ROFLMAO: Oh and, Welcome to the forum!! :)

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I have tried a mix of vinegar, salt and a few drops of dishwashing liquid, to kill weeds It didn't do very well with grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have tried a mix of vinegar, salt and a few drops of dishwashing liquid, to kill weeds It didn't do very well with grass.
You should use pickling vinegar (10%). Use it straight with no dilution. You can add a little orange oil (delimonine) and it will work better. It kills the leaves and blades of grass but it does not kill the roots. You must use it multiple times. It will ultimately kill the roots.

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I used cleaning vinegar, same thing. In my opinion it's a waste of time and money. Better buy a torch to burn the grass. It will still come back, but at least it is fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used cleaning vinegar, same thing. In my opinion it's a waste of time and money. Better buy a torch to burn the grass. It will still come back, but at least it is fast.
I agree. Vinegar cost too much and you must use it over and over. But a lot of folks want to do the less aggressive means and many are afraid of using a propane torch.

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I agree. Vinegar cost too much and you must use it over and over. But a lot of folks want to do the less aggressive means and many are afraid of using a propane torch.
I bought an electric one, it's a multipurpose paintstripper. The benefit is that you don't have to worry to set your garden on fire, the downside is that it takes longer than a torch. I also used it to weld the polyethylene rolls I have under my gravel (no root will ever be able to poke a hole in that stuff) so it's a nice tool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Look on the bright side ;)If the grass wants to grow there you get a green drive. Just mow it from time to time(y). But To be honest hand weeding is the greenest way & only total green approach to it. But why not just buy a bag of grass seed and spread it down the drive to even it out;). Probable not the answer your after but Drives all have there problems & gravel is a great one for weeds. If you don't mind chemicals look for a path weed killer. Its not Green or friendly to garden or the wildlife but then cars & drives are far from green anyway. Personally I love hand weeding Gravel drives As I find so many interesting plants popping up that I just move from the gravel and plant in the garden last week I pulled up near on 100 lavender seedlings and potted them up & I have also found loads of hollyhock & I'm going to stop there and let your imagination run riot:LOL:

Ask a Question