Grass growing through gravel driveway

Reaction score
Hello, I need to get rid of some grass (and a few weeds) that have just started to grow through my graveled driveway. This is a driveway that was created without any kind of prepping (long story).

I've got some weed killer that I use on the lawn and I plan to use that on the weeds coming through the gravel. However, I want to use some grass killer as well.

My concern is runoff from the treatment that may make its way to my lawn. The driveway is pretty level.

Should I dig a little trench around the driveway to help protect the lawn? Or, would that be overkill? I've never used grass killer before so I don't know what to expect.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hello. Why don't you just do the most conventional way of getting rid of them-- cutting? It won't permanently make them disappear but at least it will clear the driveway, Is the area too huge, making it too tedious to just trim it using a hedge shear? For what we do not want to happen here is to affect the lawn, in which you mentioned as having the same level with the driveway. If cutting is impossible, then go for the grass killer treatment but you might want to make extra effort on not over spilling it to the lawn.

Reaction score
I've sprayed weedkiller on a gravel drive before with no ill effects to the lawn. Spray carefully on a still day and you can be very selective. Once the stuff dries it loses its efficacy.

Reaction score
Well, I did the spraying yesterday afternoon so hopefully that will do it. Thanks.

Why don't you just do the most conventional way of getting rid of them-- cutting? It won't permanently make them disappear

I've been cutting them with the weed-eater, but when they grown back, they bring friends. It was getting to the point where the gravel driveway was starting develop a greenish look to it even after trimming. So, I really need to destroy them before it gets out of control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I always used the weedeater when we lived in town and had a cement driveway to deal with. When you have a gravel driveway, a weedeater is not as handy, because it will throw those rocks, and sometimes hit you, or something else that you don't want hit by flying rock.
I have also tried just soaking the driveway, and pulling the weeds up, but that is a slow and uncomfortable way to get them removed. I usually don't use any kind of chemical around my house, because I have little dogs, and I don't want to take any chances of one of them getting sick from accidentally licking something with weedkiller on it. However, in your situation, it seems like the best choice that you could have made.

Reaction score
These weeds are tough little suckers! I can definitely see the effects of the weedkiller, but I think I'll do another spraying today or tomorrow (depending on the weather forecast).

Then, I'll use a garden rake to help pull up the dead and dying weeds. The driveway could use a good raking anyway.

Reaction score
The best thing to do here is to either spray them with some sort of weed-killer, or dig them up by the root. I think if you just cut the heads of the weeds and leave the rest, they will soon grow back and so they need to be exterminated more thoroughly!

Ask a Question