Help! What is growing in my grass!?

Zsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Morning all! I have this weird, crunchy kinda weed grass growing and I haven't been able to successfully identify it. Hoping someone here can help because it seems to be spreading :( It has some read leaves in it but it doesn't appear to be red thread based on the photos I saw (I could be wrong though). I live in NJ in case you need to know the area.

Attachments

• IMG_6316.jpg
    IMG_6316.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_6317.jpg
    IMG_6317.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_6315.jpg
    IMG_6315.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 257

Zsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Sorta looks like sheep's sorrel. Whadda ya think?

https://www.ediblelandscapes.net/blog

Ahh I actually think that is it!! It gets those tendrils a little later in the season. I guess I have to research how to get rid of it now. Not a big fan of spraying but hopefully I can find something natural/organic. Thank you for your help! I am a fairly new homeowner that inherited a pretty rough looking backyard (chickweed, brown patches from tree roots, brown patches from who knows what else, occasional lovely patch of grass and now sheep sorrel!)

Zsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Here is the best I could do without becoming the actual "plant." lol It definitely isn't your 2nd option because I've never seen yellow bud on it. Definitely more red tendrils. Don't mind the rest of my yard, that is another battle. Had a sick tree along the fence that needed to come down and now nothing grows, anyway. Still think sorrel? The patch is really starting to take over. It sounds like cracking branches when you step on it.

Attachments

• IMG_6340.jpg
    IMG_6340.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_6338.jpg
    IMG_6338.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_6337.jpg
    IMG_6337.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's looking more like Black Medic. It looks like you have mowed it and so there are probably no flowers.

It's a nitrogen fixer.

Zsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
It's looking more like Black Medic. It looks like you have mowed it and so there are probably no flowers.

It's a nitrogen fixer.

Thank you for the response! It hasn't been mowed yet, it's just starting out. From what I remember last season when it was "in bloom" it definitely looked more like sorrel. I will keep an eye on it and see what it turns into.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you for the response! It hasn't been mowed yet, it's just starting out. From what I remember last season when it was "in bloom" it definitely looked more like sorrel. I will keep an eye on it and see what it turns into.
Sheep sorrel (although I call it Wood Sorrel around here) and Black medic both have yellow flowers, both are small, but the Black medic flowers are a little smaller.

Maybe you can pull a sample of this weed and place it on something away from all the other vegetation, because I think we're focusing on two separate plants.

When you say sorrel, I think of this plant

yellow_wood_sorrel_7-7-14.jpg

However, I know there are radically different types of sorrel (Probably how I'm getting confused here). Wood sorrel looks like a clover, but it's not a clover; however, Black medic is a true clover, but they both look basically the same, unless you're speaking of a different type of sorrel.

And here's a pic of Black medic

20110713_black_medick_K5_1446.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sorry...Big correction on my part:

I've been confusing Sheep's sorrel with Wood sorrel. Somehow when this thread started I googled Sheep's sorrel (never used that name before) and came up with Wood sorrel (I'm very familiar with this plant, as I have tons of it in my yard).

I just re-googled Sheep's sorrel and found a completely different plant...not sure how I got Wood sorrel last time I googled Sheep's sorrel:confused:

Zsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Sorry...Big correction on my part:

I've been confusing Sheep's sorrel with Wood sorrel. Somehow when this thread started I googled Sheep's sorrel (never used that name before) and came up with Wood sorrel (I'm very familiar with this plant, as I have tons of it in my yard).

I just re-googled Sheep's sorrel and found a completely different plant...not sure how I got Wood sorrel last time I googled Sheep's sorrel:confused:

Hey, no problem! It was definitely the Sheep kind :) I always appreciate the response

Ask a Question