Need help with growing English Walnut in Raleigh, NC Area

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello,
I've planted the tree 4 years ago, first 2 years seems to be ok. Later it started to get some kind of disease (maybe fungus), which cased it leaves to turn yellow and then black, starting from tips. It happens in May, this time. So, in the middle of the summer, all leave growth becomes inhibited and it dies. Then, it starts growing from the bottom until end of the October. See pics.
I used these fungicides and they don't help me:

1539-2.jpg.thumb_1024x1024.jpg

072845930781.jpg

41JkNEpI5nL._SY355_.jpg

072845930781.jpg

Please help.

Attachments

• PHOTO_20180510_164824.jpg
    PHOTO_20180510_164824.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 327
  • PHOTO_20180510_164807.jpg
    PHOTO_20180510_164807.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 380
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mark, I am north of you in Warren county. I have several walnut trees on my property. The older ones always look robust and healthy. The younger ones seemed sickly by last fall but came back great this spring. These trees are growing wild and I don’t spray them at all. My suggestion- get all the grass and weeds away from the base. CAREFULLY! Don’t Disturb the roots. Give it a clear area of at least 2’ diameter so it isn’t competing with foliage for water and nutrients. Mulch the cleared area with wood chips or other organic matter. Put the sprays away for now. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mark, I am north of you in Warren county. I have several walnut trees on my property. The older ones always look robust and healthy. The younger ones seemed sickly by last fall but came back great this spring. These trees are growing wild and I don’t spray them at all. My suggestion- get all the grass and weeds away from the base. CAREFULLY! Don’t Disturb the roots. Give it a clear area of at least 2’ diameter so it isn’t competing with foliage for water and nutrients. Mulch the cleared area with wood chips or other organic matter. Put the sprays away for now. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the tips!

You know, I believe it's Aphids. Looks like matching description. Probably they like English Walnuts more then the other trees or maybe the tree is too small to withstand their attacks.

Aphids
They are the size of a pinhead and vary in color depending on the species. Cluster on stems and under leaves, sucking plant juices. Leaves then curl, thicken, yellow and die. Produce large amounts of a liquid waste called “honeydew”. Aphid sticky residue becomes a growth media for sooty mold.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The subject was English Walnut trees, not Black Walnut trees which are common everywhere in North Carolina.

Ask a Question