Growing Dragons Fruit Cactus--need help planting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I live in Zone 5a
Country
United States
It may seem like a dumb question, but I've never grown these types of cacti before. I have looked up a good amount of info, but one thing confuses me. I recently bought a few Haley's Comet dragon fruit bare-root cuttings. They all have roots at the tips of the bottom of the cutting. From online, I noticed they were planted inches into the soil, but I've also read to only plant to the growing line or whatever. Do I put a stick in to hold them from falling, and only plant the tip with roots, or am I supposed to plant it a few inches down?

Please don't guess unless it's an educated one. I don't want to lose these plants, and I wont plant them a few inches deeper if the best answer is, "Probably." without explanation.

Thanks for your time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a dragon fruit vine for 10 years now. We bought the planting material and the nursery attendant was right when he said it will give us fruit after 18 months of planting. The planting material is a stem, a whole stem that is matured. Cut it and stick it on the ground that is near a pole or a fence where it can crawl. It is a crawler and without a trellis or a pole, the stem will just break.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I live in Zone 5a
Country
United States
I'm more excited to grow my cactus now, but that doesn't really answer my question. These cuttings already came with roots growing. However, it's only growing at the tips on the bottom. So I'm wondering if I should use a stick to support it being 95% out and only having the tip in the soil, or if I should plant it a few inches down despite roots only growing from the very tip.

We have a dragon fruit vine for 10 years now. We bought the planting material and the nursery attendant was right when he said it will give us fruit after 18 months of planting. The planting material is a stem, a whole stem that is matured. Cut it and stick it on the ground that is near a pole or a fence where it can crawl. It is a crawler and without a trellis or a pole, the stem will just break.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would plant it at least 2 or 3 inches deep then stake it so it will grow up, make sure you pot is heave enough not to fall over as the plant grows they can get top heave as they grow, its still young and growing new roots don't over water it or it will end up with root rot, as it gets bigger it will need more water, in your zone it will be a house plant they won't make it in the winter with all the snow and cold, you can put it out side in the spring after they last frost and temps are around 55 at night I put mine out around the first week of May just to be safe,mine go out and sets under a tree when it get lots sun in the morning then filtered sun in the after noon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I live in Zone 5a
Country
United States
That sounds good to me. Planting it that deep won't rot the plant will it?

I would plant it at least 2 or 3 inches deep then stake it so it will grow up, make sure you pot is heave enough not to fall over as the plant grows they can get top heave as they grow, its still young and growing new roots don't over water it or it will end up with root rot, as it gets bigger it will need more water, in your zone it will be a house plant they won't make it in the winter with all the snow and cold, you can put it out side in the spring after they last frost and temps are around 55 at night I put mine out around the first week of May just to be safe,mine go out and sets under a tree when it get lots sun in the morning then filtered sun in the after noon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've only had dragon fruit a few times. I have to say I don't know of many people who have had it nor do I see it in the local super market. I always thought of this more as a tropical fruit.
I think my area is too cold to grow this unfortunately. I only had it when I traveled to the Caribbean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've only had dragon fruit a few times. I have to say I don't know of many people who have had it nor do I see it in the local super market. I always thought of this more as a tropical fruit.
I think my area is too cold to grow this unfortunately. I only had it when I traveled to the Caribbean.

Dragon fruit in your area is a house plant most of the year, they will grow fast in a large pot. You can put them out side in the summer after the last frost or when the over night temps are around 55. The only place I can find fresh Dragon fruit is at a Oriental shop. These plants are fun to grow but will get over grown real fast so you will need room to grow it in doors in the winter.

Ask a Question