First time growing potatoes need help plz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
hi all, it's my first time trying to grow potatoes from potato slips. I cut the slips from a potato place them in water till roots come out and the put them in soil.. How long will they take to grow a potato?? I'm in the urge to dig and see if any grew lol any tips?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 287
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You have a long way to go. Don't go digging around in it. It hasn't even bloomed yet. Maybe October

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Beautiful slips. Too late this year. I am in Zone 5 and consider June about the right time to plant sweet potatoes. I leave them in the ground just before the first frost.

Slips can be planted without roots just plant and keep watered. They are amazingly hardy. I like roots if I have the growing time by placing the slip in a pot singly. A healthy root inspires confidence.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Aww too late? Can I bring them in the winter and let them grow??oct wow thx for the helpful tips

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Aww too late? Can I bring them in the winter and let them grow??oct wow thx for the helpful tips
Yours aren't too late but you pick sweet potatoes at the first frost. The longer they are in the ground and don't freeze the more and bigger they will be. Sweet potatoes should be planted in the ground or at least in a BIG pot.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Because of their value as a staple food, much has been written about growing potatoes and this series of articles on how to grow potatoes covers the various methods along with the problems and diseases that can afflict potatoes.

Potatoes have been a main staple food in Britain for hundreds of years. Originally from the Americas they were introduced to Britain by Sir Walter Raleigh in the 1580’s but it took a few hundred years for growing potatoes to become common place.

Over the years, plant breeders have developed literally hundreds of strains. Some for yield, some for disease resistance, some flavour and suitability for different cooking methods and purposes.

Ask a Question