Left Potatoes in the ground - now that are growing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am experimenting with potatoes. I want to have some fresh ones for Thanksgiving. I left my potatoes in the ground, and now they are growing 'again'. The cold season is coming next month.. Should I dig, or at this point, just leave them to see how they do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am experimenting with potatoes. I want to have some fresh ones for Thanksgiving. I left my potatoes in the ground, and now they are growing 'again'. The cold season is coming next month.. Should I dig, or at this point, just leave them to see how they do?
They will make more potatoes but leaving them in the ground encourages blight. I would guess that harvesting them before Thanksgiving won't matter though. Don't be surprised if they aren't very big.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Dig.
When your potatoes are ready to harvest, there's usually a good windoe of opportunity, as they are slow to go past their best.
Pests and infections are obvious risks, and potatoes do eventually deteriorate.
I'm not aware of your climate, but a bad cold snap may take the ones nearest the surface, although it would have to be bad.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
For several years it was observed that potatoes inadvertently left in the ground got a good start in the Spring. Bright idea so I planted a row of the Russian Blue in the Fall. Smugly quite happy.

Unfortunately, we had a wet Spring and the potatoes started to grow then got drowned. All 16 to 20 plants rotted in about two weeks. I never tried the experiment again.

Ask a Question