Dumb question. What can i do with my left over pots and dirt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So this is my first year with a potted garden. I've had success with a few different tomato, pepper and herb plants this year. I have 2 potted blueberry plants that I'm still trying to figure out how to winterize them (but that's a different topic.)

What I'm trying to figure out is what to do with my used pots and soil and dead or soon to be dead plants. I was thinking about just cutting the plants at the base and tossing it out in the trash. I live in a duplex that provides lawn care so I don't have many options in terms of a compost pile. With the pots with soil and dead roots I was just going to stack up in the garage until spring time and let the roots decompose in them over the winter.

Is this a feezable option. I have a large established fish tank that I used to water the plants this year. I was thinking I could use the same potted soil and just give the new plants next year the nutrient rich fish tank water instead of buying new potting soil.

Does anybody have any advice or tips they have used to keep pots and soil over the winter??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So this is my first year with a potted garden. I've had success with a few different tomato, pepper and herb plants this year. I have 2 potted blueberry plants that I'm still trying to figure out how to winterize them (but that's a different topic.)

What I'm trying to figure out is what to do with my used pots and soil and dead or soon to be dead plants. I was thinking about just cutting the plants at the base and tossing it out in the trash. I live in a duplex that provides lawn care so I don't have many options in terms of a compost pile. With the pots with soil and dead roots I was just going to stack up in the garage until spring time and let the roots decompose in them over the winter.

Is this a feezable option. I have a large established fish tank that I used to water the plants this year. I was thinking I could use the same potted soil and just give the new plants next year the nutrient rich fish tank water instead of buying new potting soil.

Does anybody have any advice or tips they have used to keep pots and soil over the winter??
I've been using the same soil that is in my containers for years. Just add compost and fertilizer next year.
If you didn't have blight problems with your tomatoes that soil should be ok too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This summer was my sixth in this house, and I've been growing some veggies, some herbs, and plenty of annuals in the same containers and soil. I just mix in a little more potting soil and compost each year to replace what gets displaced when I pull out spent plants. I pull them out roots and all, and discard or compost.

If you have terracotta or glazed pots, it's best to empty and store them someplace dry until next spring. Freeze-thaw cycles may cause them to crack, chip, or just fall apart. Plastic and metal containers seem to do just fine over winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Good to know. I do the same. I thought maybe i was being a bit slack so it's good to know I'm not, just practical and not wasteful.

Ask a Question