Bougainvillea question

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Hey There.

I'm new to gardening, I want to get my fairly average looking yard in good shape. I have two bougainvillea that I had left in pots for nearly 2 years, I never actually planted them, they are still in the pots, but the roots have well extended the pots and are firmly rooted in the ground.

I've read that bougainvillea are quite difficult to replant, would I be best off cutting away the pots and putting mounds of soil around the roots and just letting them grow in place?

Another thing, in two years i've never actually seen (or remember) them flowering, our housekeeper cuts them back quite aggressively once every month of so, could that be the reason?

If it helps, I live in Bangkok, so there is plenty of sunshine and water

Best Regards
Mick

Attachments

• IMG_20180715_151820.825.jpg
    IMG_20180715_151820.825.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 313
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Potted plants will occasionally root themselves into the ground when left to their own devices. Just last week I discovered an Opuntia tomentosa in my garden that had done just that. I severed the soil connection as I had other plans for both the plant and the spot where it the pot had sat.

Your Bougainvillea cvs. have done something similar. If the plants needed to be moved, of course I would advise talking the risk of detaching them from the earth. However, as you have both the space and the willingness to build a raised bed around your plants, why not do so. It will be an interesting experiment, and the plants should benefit from their deeper established roots.

You sa y the plant ar receiving plenty of sun, so it appears that excessive pruning is keeping you form enjoying the colorful floral bracts of your Bougainvillea. Besides room on the ground, you also have room to let the plants grow larger. Don't prune them again until they are taller than the wall. If long arching branches grow out that is wonderful. Instead of pruning them tie or anchor them to the wall. You may want to install a wooden or metal trellis at the same time you build the raised beds.

Ask a Question