thinning a bougainvillea?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have read that bougainvillea sometimes needs to thinned because they need to breathe. Mine looks really thick to me but it's fairly young and new to me so maybe it just seems big compared to where it started. I need a second opinion- is it too thick? If so, how do I know which branches to cut? I'm a little stumped when I look at it and think about which branches to cut, or how much. Any advice on where to start or rules of thumb?

As far as it not having flowers right now, i think it's just because we've been getting so much rain this summer here in Florida and prior to that we planted sod so it may have been getting some extra water while we established the sod. But, i also thought maybe it's because it's too thick. The plant does get a good amount of sunlight- I know that's important too- this photo was taken in the late afternoon. I've been afraid to touch it because most of the branches look like they're about to bloom flowers. In the mean time it's looking a little unruly.

I'm a new gardener if you can't tell :)

Attachments

• 20170801_164626-1.jpg
    20170801_164626-1.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 274
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly wait until it's flowered before you do anything, it looks really healthy so only remove thin or spindly branches, or branches which are rubbing against each other, while doing this try to maintain a good fan shape, hope this helps.

Ask a Question