Bougainvillea alternative?

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi everyone! i live in pasadena (hardiness 10a, climate 21). I'd like some kind of colorful hedge growing along my backyard's 4' brick wall which has trellis-like bars/fencing over the top. my original thought was various colored bougainvilleas because i LOVE vibrant year round color. but i'm worried about the thorns and aggressive nature of this plant requiring diligent pruning. any suggestions for friendlier alternatives? thanks in advance!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How about willow hedging!

upload_2018-12-12_9-30-39.jpeg

You can use it as biomass for your fire as well. Don't know about hardiness though. Someone else might help. You could use the red stems or even purple stems.

Or Cornus with red flowers and berries in winter.
images

images

images

Any cornus with red/pink flowers are a delight

images

Viburnum plicatum Mariesii is my firm favorite
upload_2018-12-12_9-36-16.jpeg

upload_2018-12-12_9-36-40.jpeg

Or Kilimanjaroi if you can find it.

Please research for hardiness.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi sillyglue! Have you thought about Island Snapdragon (Galvesia)? There are many varieties, some of which grow into thicket-like hedges. They produce flowers pretty consistently throughout the year, and bonus, attract critters! http://californianativeplants.com/galvezia/

You could also front-plant with other native color bombs like sand-verbenas, poppies. There are some great tips here (it's a pdf, just fyi): https://bringingbackthenatives.net/...ason-Loong-Bloom-ALREADY-UPLOADED.pages_1.pdf

Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Different colored Bougies will have different growth rates and won't fill-in evenly.

Ask a Question