Diffenbachia aka "Dumb Cane"

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this plant? My dad had one since I was a baby and it was over 6 feet tall. At one point he had to cut it down (maybe disease or something), but he had gotten it back up to about 3 feet before he gave it to me. Apparently I was watering it too much or something because one day it just fell over and I found that the stalk was rotted under the soil. After cutting that part off, I divided the remaining "branches" and rooted them in water. All but one succumbed to the disease until I finally figured out that there was something wrong with the pH of the water and I added a little baking soda to it. Once the remaining cutting rooted pretty well and looked as though it would survive, I transplanted it and it has been doing pretty well except that the stalk is skinny and has to have support. I'm not sure if I should cut it down again, or just keep it supported.
Does anyone have any experience with these?
20131203_131258.jpg

Reaction score
My granma had one of those, she made it seem it was so easy to take care of one of those plants, but it really isn't :( You're not alone, everytime I tried to grow one of those plants it ended up dead. And yeah, the stalk is very skinny, it reminds me of those plants who just grow and grow long and skinny because they're in search of the light. Are you giving this plant some decent light?

I could be wrong (please correct me if I'm wrong) but it looks like this plant isn't getting enough light. My granma's plant was near a window, never under the direct sunlight. The light was so bright, but not direct.

Reaction score
My granma had one of those, she made it seem it was so easy to take care of one of those plants, but it really isn't :( You're not alone, everytime I tried to grow one of those plants it ended up dead. And yeah, the stalk is very skinny, it reminds me of those plants who just grow and grow long and skinny because they're in search of the light. Are you giving this plant some decent light?

I could be wrong (please correct me if I'm wrong) but it looks like this plant isn't getting enough light. My granma's plant was near a window, never under the direct sunlight. The light was so bright, but not direct.

Thanks for the response, Trellum. I have it in front of the same window it's been by for many years, even before it got the disease, but maybe I need to move it more in the center and perhaps think about some plant lights, For the most part, it's been pretty easy to deal with, but I did realize I was watering it too much when I noticed fungus gnats and I stuck my finger in the soil and it's stays moist for weeks so I have let up on the water.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Try just watering the tray and not directly into the pot, that won't help the plant, but it should stop the fungus gnats, they like a damp surface :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, and always wash your hands if you get the sap on them, it's called Dumb Cane for a reason :eek:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Dieffenbachia should be kept in moderate filtered light. Turning the plant often to encourage even growth. Feed the plant in the spring, repot every other spring and keep soil lightly moist, never waterlogged. Leaf burn is due to fluctuation in fertilizer and light levels. Little to no new growth indicates insufficient light or not enough fertilizer. This general information may help.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Trellum. I have it in front of the same window it's been by for many years, even before it got the disease, but maybe I need to move it more in the center and perhaps think about some plant lights, For the most part, it's been pretty easy to deal with, but I did realize I was watering it too much when I noticed fungus gnats and I stuck my finger in the soil and it's stays moist for weeks so I have let up on the water.

You're welcome :) I hope your dumb cane gets better soon :) By the way, I have never seen fungus gnats, but I heard they are nasty. I think you are doing the right thing by watering it less. Hopely you can save this plant :)

Reaction score
Thanks so much everybody for all the helpful tips! I will definitely start incorporating them & hopefully my plant will start thriving soon! (y)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You're welcome :) I hope your dumb cane gets better soon :) By the way, I have never seen fungus gnats, but I heard they are nasty. I think you are doing the right thing by watering it less. Hopely you can save this plant :)

I used to work on a mushroom farm where we had to top water, there were so many fungus gnats, you couldn't put your cup of tea down without the cup filling up with them :(

Ask a Question