Help with Ornamental Aeonium AKA Pinwheel Succulent

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I can't help myself when I go to the greenhouse, especially when I see a plant that is unique. This last round I saw what looks like a Hens and Chick plant, yet it grows on a stalk and reminds me almost of a succulent rose. the tag says it is a Pinwheel. Now I have followed the instructions of letting it dry between watering's, not to much light, no letting it get to cold. Yet it seems like some of the leaves (for want of a better term) are dropping, although the plant itself is still quite gn. Maybe this is normal? What I am seeing as far as care is this is meant to be an outdoor plant along the lines of plants like stonecrop, yet it was sold as a container plant. Anyone with experience I would love some advice.
3259336-close-up-of-an-ornamental-aeonium-succulent-pinwheel.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Yes it is the leaves on the bottom, they yellow and seem to dry out then fall. I just feel like the ops should be fuller but maybe this is not unusual for the end of the winter? I was thinking maybe these plants are like the primroses and actually need it cooler, that perhaps they were to warm where I have them. Most of my succulents like it warm and dry so I just figured that was the same with this one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's kinda like ornamental cabbage and kale. As it grows the bottom leaves shrivel and die and you just pick them off

Ask a Question