Meyer Lemon Tree Help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I obtained this Meyer lemon tree from a friend about a month or so ago. I don't know where they got it from, but because the drainage in the cup wasn't good, I re-potted it into another pot. Since where I live the temperatures this time of year are far too cold to keep it outside, obviously I have to keep it inside. But it hasn't been doing too well and I'm wondering what is recommended to fix the issue of curling, browning leaves. I re-potted it again tonight with miracle gro indoor potting mix, so I'm hoping this might make an improvement over time. I don't know what soil it originally came in. I've been alternating between putting it near the window for some natural light and under an LED grow light that gets turned off over night. I water it thoroughly when I notice the soil getting dry, and let it drain well. The temperature in my house shouldn't be the issue. I attached some pictures of my plant's condition. If you have any tips on how to better care for my tree and fix the issue, I'd greatly appreciate it! Also am open to lemon tree care tips in general, since I'm new to this.

Attachments

• lemon tree.jpg
    lemon tree.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 313
  • lemon tree 2.jpg
    lemon tree 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 296
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How much sun does it get? It should be no less than 5 hours per day, but more would be better.

And I'm also sure the temperature is just fine in your house; however, the humidity may be a little low. Do you know the humidity level? The optimum for a Meyer lemon tree is about 50%.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Its a moisture issue. Either too much or too little. Please explain how you water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
BTW, where do you live? Lemon trees really do prefer to be outdoors. A mature Meyer lemon tree can withstand temps into the 20's; mine has seen those temps with no problems. I understand your tree is not mature, but maybe (if you live a good location) you could cover up the plant at night or just bring it inside. But this all depends on your location....

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. I try to focus on putting it under a grow light because although I place it next to the window for the majority of the day (so definitely more than 5 hours) there's a lot of overcast weather so it's not really full sunlight. I set up the grow light for that reason, and put it under there when it starts getting dark for a couple hours. I'm wondering if it needs to be under the grow light less, or maybe more? 2. I don't know the humidity level unfortunately, however, I can say that I live in the far north bordering Canada, and winter has set in, so it's pretty dry...I wish I could keep it outside, but winter brings below zero temps. 3. I thoroughly water it as needed to keep moist soil. The goal has been at least once a week. Do you recommend more? Feel free to ask any more questions if I forgot to cover something, I really appreciate the help and suggestions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
1. I try to focus on putting it under a grow light because although I place it next to the window for the majority of the day (so definitely more than 5 hours) there's a lot of overcast weather so it's not really full sunlight. I set up the grow light for that reason, and put it under there when it starts getting dark for a couple hours. I'm wondering if it needs to be under the grow light less, or maybe more? 2. I don't know the humidity level unfortunately, however, I can say that I live in the far north bordering Canada, and winter has set in, so it's pretty dry...I wish I could keep it outside, but winter brings below zero temps. 3. I thoroughly water it as needed to keep moist soil. The goal has been at least once a week. Do you recommend more? Feel free to ask any more questions if I forgot to cover something, I really appreciate the help and suggestions.
IMO light isn't what's causing the leaf margin to brown. Low light causes legginess and that plant isn't leggy. It's water. If you water from the top down you probably aren't giving the roots enough water. The potting mix can be wet for two or three inches down and the roots stay dry. If you water from the bottom up until water stands on the surface you are assured that the roots have been watered. By watering from the bottom up you don't have to water as often either. If you are watering from the bottom up you are watering too often and the roots are having a hard time coping with the excess water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMO light isn't what's causing the leaf margin to brown. Low light causes legginess and that plant isn't leggy. It's water. If you water from the top down you probably aren't giving the roots enough water. The potting mix can be wet for two or three inches down and the roots stay dry. If you water from the bottom up until water stands on the surface you are assured that the roots have been watered. By watering from the bottom up you don't have to water as often either. If you are watering from the bottom up you are watering too often and the roots are having a hard time coping with the excess water.

That’s a great idea! I’ve been watering from the top down, I’ve not tried bottom up before. I’m going to give that a shot and see if it helps. Just to be certain (since I’ve never done it before), what’s the procedure to water from bottom up? I looked it up, and it seems I place the pot in a container with water for some time as it absorbs to the top, how much water do you recommend I fill the container with? Or correct me if I’m wrong altogether.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That’s a great idea! I’ve been watering from the top down, I’ve not tried bottom up before. I’m going to give that a shot and see if it helps. Just to be certain (since I’ve never done it before), what’s the procedure to water from bottom up? I looked it up, and it seems I place the pot in a container with water for some time as it absorbs to the top, how much water do you recommend I fill the container with? Or correct me if I’m wrong altogether.:)
Just fill your sink up with water, place the container in it and when water stands on the surface empty the sink and let the container drain.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just fill your sink up with water, place the container in it and when water stands on the surface empty the sink and let the container drain.

Great, thank you for your help! Soon I'll have a better set-up for my indoor plants, planning on a table right by a sunny window which is something that I lack atm. So better natural light will soon be available, and I'll give the bottom up watering a try. Maybe I'll try it with my succulent too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great, thank you for your help! Soon I'll have a better set-up for my indoor plants, planning on a table right by a sunny window which is something that I lack atm. So better natural light will soon be available, and I'll give the bottom up watering a try. Maybe I'll try it with my succulent too.
Be careful with the succulent. They don't need near the water as a lemon tree.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I'm aware that the watering is much different for a lemon tree than a succulent, so I'll watch that carefully. I simply like the idea of bottom up watering when it is time to water my succulent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, I'm aware that the watering is much different for a lemon tree than a succulent, so I'll watch that carefully. I simply like the idea of bottom up watering when it is time to water my succulent.
Bottom up watering succulents is a little different than with other plants. Only put about 1-2 inches of water in the sink and as soon as the surface becomes damp let it drain. Try not to let water stand on the surface.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bottom up watering succulents is a little different than with other plants. Only put about 1-2 inches of water in the sink and as soon as the surface becomes damp let it drain. Try not to let water stand on the surface.

Good to know, I'm learning a lot! Thank you! (y)

Ask a Question