Flowers and Foliage at Shirakawago

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Shirakawago is a famous world heritage site in Japan - I went there this weekend and I just loved not only the houses with the thatched roof style, but the whole setup there. It's a village where people actually still live - and the flowers there are magnificent! :)

image.jpg

twze3amjv.image.jpg

image.jpg

Just a quick glimpse - I wont upload too many pictures but I hope you enjoy the few I shared! :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very nice pictures, these types of pictures help to give a different idea of what Japan looks like. I always think of those little rice huts you see in the movies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Beautiful spot amelia88. And interesting to see the quite wild looking garden, not something we generally associate with Japanese gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I love the photos @amelia88 (y) It really is charming. Is it in the mountains? I am surprised to see the beautiful cosmos growing and i see that those scary scarecrows haven't much bothered the bee. I wouldn't mind seeing more pics :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Beautiful spot amelia88. And interesting to see the quite wild looking garden, not something we generally associate with Japanese gardens.

I think that's one reason I loved it so much - I adore wildflowers growing like that, so it was very pleasant!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I love the photos @amelia88 (y) It really is charming. Is it in the mountains? I am surprised to see the beautiful cosmos growing and i see that those scary scarecrows haven't much bothered the bee. I wouldn't mind seeing more pics :)

Yes!! :) Up in the mountains, the prefecture it's located in is very mountainous, so even the drive there is rather charming!

I'll have to upload some more. It really was a lovely place to visit and the fact that it is still a working village where people live is so neat. They all help each other re-thatch the rooves when it's required - a real team spirit kind of town!

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Looks absolutely stunning, so beautiful I hope I can make something like this someday in the near future, I'm gonna be uploading pictures when I have one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Looks absolutely stunning, so beautiful I hope I can make something like this someday in the near future, I'm gonna be uploading pictures when I have one.

I think Japan has been such a wonderful eye opener for me in terms of flowers, especially - they have so many wonderful festivals and things seem to grow quite effortlessly here, since the soil is so fertile!

I tell everyone I know now that they simply MUST visit Japan!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
IMG_4651.jpg

Here was another pretty part of the area, it was a view from a window out of one of the thatched houses you could walk through.

I love this style of Japanese inspired garden, and in my dream house someday I would like something similar! You have to remember as well this is not a 'preserved' garden but it's literally someone's yard, so it is all the more special if you ask me :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
IMG_4651.jpg

Here was another pretty part of the area, it was a view from a window out of one of the thatched houses you could walk through.

I love this style of Japanese inspired garden, and in my dream house someday I would like something similar! You have to remember as well this is not a 'preserved' garden but it's literally someone's yard, so it is all the more special if you ask me :)
If we wanted that back yard we could pay a fortune to a landscaper to bring in the rocks, dig a stream, plant the oriental trees, lay a path etc. It is lovely. You are right, amelia, it's amazing that it's someone's backyard.

Ask a Question