Will my container plants survive through the winter if left outside?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello! I have been exploring the beautiful world of container gardening. Without having my own yard, I have transformed my patio into a container garden oasis! Although, I have found it very challenging to find answers online as I to grow my gardening skills and knowledge. So, here I am :)

I am curious about how/if my plants can survive through the winter. Also, if there is anything I need to do to prep the plants or maintenance during the winter. I have cat that would love to eat any plant, so they need to stay outside. I realize that they will not thrive over the winter. I am just looking for ways to help them not die and unable to bloom come next Spring and Summer.

Here is the pertinent info:
Patio Direction: North-facing, No direct sunlight
Plants in question:
1) Begonia semperflorens-cultorum (Begonia - Yin Red & Yang White)
2) Begonia semperflorens (Gum Drop Cherry Blossom Begonia)
3) Polianthes tuberosa (Tuberose)
Each of these are planted in their own containers

Thank you in advance for your help!! Any questions, please let me know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome Blooming Girl. Thanks or joining us. As for your plants, I too am in zone 7b and use one of those 56" x 56" prefab greenhouses from eBay for my tender plants. Once spring comes they can be disassembled and stored in a relatively small area.
The magic of living in North Carolina is that there is no telling what kind of winter we have coming. We could have a low of 5 or 10 degrees in which case your plants would be pretty much toast. On the other hand we could have a mild winter and plants could survive. I'm sure others will jump in and give you specifics on each plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Temperatures below 45F will damage begonias and a light freeze will kill them. Tuberose is a little more cold hardy but a freeze will kill them too, or so my wife says. There is a fabric called Nsulate that will give you about 5 degrees of protection

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Begonia is a very delicate plant. It's best to dig them up and store them in a frost free place. No direct sunlight is a bit tricky for storing begonia.

You are sure you don't have any microclime which has the maximum amount of sunlight, south facing, wall and concrete floor? @Silentrunning and @Chuck are right, you either need a greenhouse and/or a bubble wrap round the pots and huddle all the pots together against your warmest wall.. the chance of begonias being killed can't be exaggerated.

Here, some people overwinter dahlias which are equally delicate by mulching a foot high on top of the tubers, but you want to leave them in pots and I am not too sure it will work for begonia..

Ask a Question