Lemon grass in U.K.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
7D215DCC-093A-4802-B7D1-F608AA8CCEB2.jpeg
Has anyone grown lemon grass in the U.K. was just wondering if it could survive out doors? And can it be split ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't tried growing it myself, but I'd be interested to know how you get on with it! Does it smell as good as I imagine it does?! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't tried growing it myself, but I'd be interested to know how you get on with it! Does it smell as good as I imagine it does?! :)
It smells amazing I used the thicker stems as skewers for lamb kebabs just been reading up she won’t survive our winters so will split and over winter in doors

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think they survived the winter, speaking from my own experience. Also, you need a lot of heat to grow them to the size of those seen in shop. I once bought tons of them when they were reduced to 7p. All dumped in the freezer. I think you can trying growing kaffir leaves. The aroma is heavenly. I would say leave them indoor or have them in a raised bed at the hottest point in your garden. Bring them in in winter!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It can be grown outdoors in the summer. Winter, no.

This video shows how to divide the clump!

This one might be better! But it's very long!
Thanks for that will keep in my greenhouse for as long as I can then spit it and bring in doors unless I eat it all before then :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that will keep in my greenhouse for as long as I can then spit it and bring in doors unless I eat it all before then :)

:DWill you really eat them it?? It took me ages before I used up the frozen ones. In fact, some looked so bad that I chucked them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:DWill you really eat them it?? It took me ages before I used up the frozen ones. In fact, some looked so bad that I chucked them.
I love lemon grass we eat a lot of thia style food also use it a lot in soups and broths also think it’s a nice looking plant :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have you ever tried Laksa? Malaysian! it was delicious. My ex flat mate was from Malaysia and she and her friend were squatting on the ground and ground peanuts and what not. It was incredibly beautiful though looking at the way they prepared it put me off. On Sunday, Asda reduced a tiny little tub from 70p to 35p and as we were cooking for 2, the flavour was diluted, but I could still detect the lovely flavour.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you ever tried Laksa? Malaysian! it was delicious. My ex flat mate was from Malaysia and she and her friend were squatting on the ground and ground peanuts and what not. It was incredibly beautiful though looking at the way they prepared it put me off. On Sunday, Asda reduced a tiny little tub from 70p to 35p and as we were cooking for 2, the flavour was diluted, but I could still detect the lovely flavour.
have had seafood laksa few years back
Have also made cordial with lemon grass and lemon balm goes amazing with a good slug of vodka :)

Ask a Question