Garden journal

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Does anyone keep a gardening journal? I was thinking last night it would be interesting and also helpful to keep a daily journal for the garden season. Just a quick note each day starting with the weather and any activity in the garden that day worth mentioning. So far the slugs haven't started but I know sometime in July they will come out full force. It would be nice if I had journals from previous years I could compare this growing season to possibly pin point when they will become active so I can be ready for them. As it is now I can't remember so I have to wait until they start munching on my garden to know they have become active. It would also be nice to pass onto my son when he someday has a garden of his own.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I keep an e-photo journal annotated with info on relevant garden events. It is organized by year and type of plant and goes back to about 2010. Pictures, as they say, are worth 1000s of words.

Today's photo, for example, documents the different variety of veggies in harvest now.

variety.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I keep an e-photo journal annotated with info on relevant garden events. It is organized by year and type of plant and goes back to about 2010. Pictures, as they say, are worth 1000s of words.

Today's photo, for example, documents the different variety of veggies in harvest now.

View attachment 97636
Is it an app? Pictures would be awesome too.

Love the harvest!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone keep a gardening journal? I was thinking last night it would be interesting and also helpful to keep a daily journal for the garden season. Just a quick note each day starting with the weather and any activity in the garden that day worth mentioning. So far the slugs haven't started but I know sometime in July they will come out full force. It would be nice if I had journals from previous years I could compare this growing season to possibly pin point when they will become active so I can be ready for them. As it is now I can't remember so I have to wait until they start munching on my garden to know they have become active. It would also be nice to pass onto my son when he someday has a garden of his own.
Keeping a gardening journal is a brilliant idea, man! It's like your own personal garden diary, capturing all the weather deets and garden happenings. Not only is it interesting to look back on, but it's super helpful too. Tracking when those slugs make their grand appearance in previous years will give you a heads up this season, so you can show 'em who's boss from the get-go.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Is it an app?

No, my pictures are stored on my computer organized in folders by year and type and of course stored with date and time. I also keep some excel spreadsheets for detailed data on experiments.

The only problem is if I lose a hard drive which has happened. I try to keep back-ups on usb drives but not always faithful and current. I definitely have enough material to write a book...but have no inclination to do so.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Keeping a gardening journal is a brilliant idea, man! It's like your own personal garden diary, capturing all the weather deets and garden happenings. Not only is it interesting to look back on, but it's super helpful too. Tracking when those slugs make their grand appearance in previous years will give you a heads up this season, so you can show 'em who's boss from the get-go.
Exactly!

No, my pictures are stored on my computer organized in folders by year and type and of course stored with date and time. I also keep some excel spreadsheets for detailed data on experiments.

The only problem is if I lose a hard drive which has happened. I try to keep back-ups on usb drives but not always faithful and current. I definitely have enough material to write a book...but have no inclination to do so.
That's the problem. I had a crazy expensive gaming computer that just randomly died. I lost a ton of pics and documents, all kinds of stuff because I didn't back up regularly enough. An app would store everything in a cloud automatically. But it would be something I would love to pass onto my son some day so pen and paper makes it more personal as well as easy to keep. Every worthwhile pic I take goes on Facebook anyway so it's stored without worry of backing it up.

Ask a Question