Space-saving ideas for small gardens

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello, fellow garden enthusiasts! I'm in the process of planning my garden and could use some advice. I have limited space available and want to make the most of it. What are some creative and space-saving ideas for small gardens that can maximize both aesthetics and functionality? Any suggestions or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get the Square foot garden book. by Mel Bartholomew on Amazon.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Anything that can climb like cucumbers make something for them to climb up. Facing the sun plant the smallest plants in front and larger plants behind. Think of what you want to grow and make a list, whatever your favorites are. Then I would do a quick google search or post the list on the forum to see what goes with what. Some garden plants don't grow well together and some do. That's my best advice, I hope it helps. Main thing is to have fun and learn as you grow what you love :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Well both oneeye and pepper are assuming you want a veg garden, as I was assuming too before I started typing.

But, before we can offer any suggestions, what are the things you want from a garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Veg can get heavy so I have cattle panel and zinc coated metal studs out in the garden now. The panel makes great support for vertical trellis, as well as the roof tomatoes or curcubits will climb upon. The studs get used for strong horizontal support on tomatoes for example.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Look into high density fruit tree planting. If your into fruit trees like me. I used to space them like an orchard 15-20 feet based on the size. Now 10 feet is the max distance I go. Rows are spaced 15 feet apart to get the riding mower dump cart through. Just need to summer prune to control size. Dwarft and mini-dwarf varieties help but some of my Dwarf cherries are bigger than some of my semi-dwarf peach trees.

Plenty of options available. Look up Dave Wison videos on YouTube. They are a bit old but I still consider them up to date as far as high density goes. Lots of good information. I wish I would have saw this before I went nuts planting a bunch of fruit trees.

In addition disease resistant trees for your particular environment will greatly improve your chance for success. Your favorite fruit might now grow well in your area.

MOD

Ask a Question