Newbie in need of space filling help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Well a newbie to the site and first post so be kind ;)

So we have an issue that our next door neighbour is going to cut down the current leylandii which run alongside of our patio.
So we have a couple of problems when these disappear:
a) We're on a hill so as you can imagine all gardens look down into each other so this gave us a great privacy screen, not wanting to be anti social but we liked the privacy this gave
b) We have two hunting dogs who when these trees disappear will be able to leap the small wall down into the neighbours garden and hunt the ginger cats who have alluded them for the last three years

So immediately we're looking to put a couple of panels on top of the small wall to give an immediate screen, but we'd like to regain our green height in some way.
We immediately think more climbers and adding trellis to the top of the new panels but I was hoping for any additional ideas you may be able to suggest

IMG_6890.JPG

Thanks all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, plant something on your side of the wall. Preferably a fast growing hedge, Like privet or wax leaf holly. I wouldn't worry too much about the dogs. They have established the boundaries of their yard and probably will take a long time to investigate the ability to jump over.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Covedweller. Do I really have to be kind? :giggle: If you want green you first have to unveil a bit of brown!! Get some of those slabs up and make a garden out of it. For a nice thick evergreen hedge you won`t do much better than Griselinia - it`s easy to cut and keep in shape, and much nicer than Lleylandii that`s for sure.
A honeysuckle planted with the Griselinia at the same time would give extra interest and perfume too. It would need to be a good tough variety like Halliana to do well - and if you wanted to go really mad you could include a nice tough rose in the mix like American pillar.
1613493363712.png
This is Griselinia, it is dense and bomb proof and will grow as tall as you want it quite quickly.
Buy smaller plants and they will establish more quickly. Prune it lightly from the word go to make it thicker.
1613493884020.png
Lonicera Halliana...

1613494051281.png
Rosa American pillar (rambling)

Have fun - when you`re done it will look much nicer than it does now.
PS. Although you can use planters, the plants will do much much better in the ground (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, plant something on your side of the wall. Preferably a fast growing hedge, Like privet or wax leaf holly. I wouldn't worry too much about the dogs. They have established the boundaries of their yard and probably will take a long time to investigate the ability to jump over.

Hi Don

Thanks for the quick reply
Well unfortunately being hunters and being young we know only too well that they'd jump it as soon as its opened up
We'd be looking to grow the new cover in pots (as you can see they'll be on a patio) so are we limited to what we could grow ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your being in Great Briton makes it hard for me to suggest what to plant. I live in a very rural Oklahoma and My Labrador retriever goes where she will without any complaints. You can always set up a hot wire to keep the dogs in the yard. They do sell so very effective systems in this day and age.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Don

Thanks for the quick reply
Well unfortunately being hunters and being young we know only too well that they'd jump it as soon as its opened up
We'd be looking to grow the new cover in pots (as you can see they'll be on a patio) so are we limited to what we could grow ?
You don't know how to control your dogs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That comment is hardly helpful @Don Perry and uncalled for. It matters not how well my two old dogs behave, I would never chance them getting out of the garden. If they were to spot a rabbit or pheasant out there they would be gone.

Ask a Question