I'm a newbie, need help with rose bushes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone:

I am new to the site and new to gardening in general. I have taken an interest in taking better care of all the cool things in my backyard. The previous owner was obviously a wonderful gardener. I have let almost everything be neglected.

I am starting the process of educating myself to better maintain the rose bushes in my backyard. I have a rose bush that blooms a beautiful reddish orange rose once or twice a year. My issue is...the rose bush is tall and narrow, like a bean stalk. It has a long thick trunk growing, which I hope you can see in the attached picture. The trunk is about as thick as a half dollar. The trunk (I'm calling it) climbs about 3 feet before you see any stem or branch growing from the trunk. And as you can see from the picture, rose are not sprouting until about 4 and 6 feet from the base of the bush. I would love to cut off and replant just the branch/stem that is creating the roses, and get rid of the thick trunk growing from the ground? Is this rose bush salvageable? If so, how would I go about pruning so that the roses are sprouting closer to the ground without a long trunk on the bush. Should I just saw off the bark toward the bottom and let it regrow or would that kill it? I hope I am making sense, and I hope the picture captures what I am trying to say.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It doesn't look like your picture got attached. What you describe sounds like a 'tree rose' or 'rose standard'. I think they graft a rose on top of something else with the upright trunk, to bring all the color up to eye level. If that's the case, cutting it off wouldn't produce a rose bush; if it re-grew, it would be whatever plant the lower portion came from.

I'd maybe try planting a few other roses around it, so it would mature into something looking like a single big bush.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip! Yes I tried to delete this post here and move it to the other Roses forum with the pictures. Someone else in the Roses forum responded with the same thing you said. Thanks so much for the info!

Ask a Question