How to get most out of small space

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 4 4x4 raised garden beds. Any recommendations/tips to get the most out of small space? In the past I have planted: green beans, cucumber, zucchini, squash, watermelon, spinach, lettuce, snap Peas, jalapeno, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and carrots. I am open to any help to Maximize my space and get the most bang for my back. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Location re planting zone?
Yes. Any tips or suggestions. I know part of my issue is I'm too ambitious and I want to plant it all. That means the bigger plants (ex zucchini) overshadow and take over the other plants on that garden bed.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Ok, that helps narrow down the possibilities. Nothing wrong with being ambitious, but you can work against yourself if overcrowding.

Have you tried going vertical? Green beans ( eg. Blue Lake pole beans), spinach (Malabar), cucumber, melons all can be grown vertically saving you a good bit of planting space. Starting seeds indoors can help extend the growing season. Careful "combo" planting such as growing a cool season crop followed by hot season crop...example carrots followed by peppers, Carrots withstand mild frosts so you could grow them early then follow with something else. Just a few thoughts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! Do I need a treklis set up for those or will a tomato cage suffice (ex: green beans)?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Both will work, but a trellis gives you more flexibility.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 4x4 raised garden beds. Any recommendations/tips to get the most out of small space? In the past I have planted: green beans, cucumber, zucchini, squash, watermelon, spinach, lettuce, snap Peas, jalapeno, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and carrots. I am open to any help to Maximize my space and get the most bang for my back. Thanks in advance!
I have heard vertical growing us a great way to use up a small space and still get a good harvest, I’m currently testing this method out myself! Will let you know how it goes, I’m a newbie haha xx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Vertical is a huge improvement in space but one needs to avoid shading other crops. Put your trellises on the north side of your beds.

Small crops like herbs can be done in a trough on shelves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Both will work, but a trellis gives you more flexibility.
I use a portion of "bull panel" as a trellis for the beans. You must stabilize it by clipping the bottom to sink that portion into the soil in the center of the bed. Tie the top with cord or wire and tie off at the raised bed sides for support.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I use a portion of "bull panel" as a trellis for the beans. You must stabilize it by clipping the bottom to sink that portion into the soil in the center of the bed. Tie the top with cord or wire and tie off at the raised bed sides for support.
I do too! I cut the 16 foot panel in half and then fold the two pieces longways for a 2 part square tomato cage that is 8 feet tall but stores for winter in a tidy stack.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My bean trellis consists of 5 of the 16 ft panels held in place with T-posts. I move it every three years or so for crop rotation. One can get tremendous production out of a trellis including pole green beans, pinto beans, lima beans, etc. and I also grow cucumbers on the opposite side. This year's bean crop is just starting the climb up the panels.

bean trellis.JPG

Ask a Question