What Fruits Do You Plant & Pot in Small Spaces?

Reaction score
I currently live in an apartment where I have very limited porch space. At my previous residence, I had a large yard with many potted plants, raised garden beds, and fruit trees throughout the yard. I downsized my plant collection to a few potted plants and herbs (mint, oregano, cilantro, and strawberries.) The only fruit I am currently growing is the strawberry. I have a couple of hanging baskets with strawberries and a rectangular pot with several strawberry plants as well.

I am dying to plant more fruit, but I'm not sure what would do best in such a small space. I have partial shade and room for one larger planter. I was considering a patio peach, but my last patio peach really ate the dust fast from pests. Does anyone have any good suggestions for potable fruits or hanging baskets of fruits in small spaces beyond strawberries?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
I can recommend figs and pomegranates. I've seen beautiful results, and they don't need to grow too high (about 4 feet or so). Both do better in full sun, but they will be just fine in partially shaded places as well.

Have you tried blueberries? They take a few years to produce fruit, but in the meanwhile, you get a very nice plant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
How about tomatoes? They're yummy, easy to grow and they don't need much space, you can plant them in a container:) The plant itself looks quite nice.
A chili pepper plant would be a great choice too:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I agree with Claudine on this one. Tomatoes are easy to grow and doesn't need much space too.

Reaction score
ashley rose - even though I can understand that you may not wish to try another dwarf tree - after the bad experience you had with your patio peach tree - there are many other varieties of dwarf fruits that would do really well in a partially shaded area - which might well be worth investigating :D

However as its fruit you are after and tomatoes may not do too well in partial shade - how about one of these dwarf berry bushes like - this thorn-less, self pollinating heavy cropping raspberry bush called " Raspberry Shortcake "

DWARF - Raspberry Bush.jpg

or a Blueberry bush - that would not only reward you with an abundance of fruit but have high ornamental value too - as being evergreen it would provide you with attractive year round foliage - like this one called " Peach Sorbet "

DWARF - Bluberry Peach Sorbet.jpg

Reaction score
What about cherry tomatoes? My sister grow those, she saves a lot in cherry tomatoes, because they eat them often. They take very little space and are fairly east to take care of (from what I saw at my sister's place).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Autumn raspberries.
You get them first year, and varieties like "Polka" which I grow in my garden, give a steady yield over four months.
They don't mind a bit of shade too much.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The containers of berries look very good and it looks like something I would put on the deck even though I have a large yard to plant in. Strawberries would be my first thought for a small space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Blueberry bushes are very nice for small spaces and the bushes stay very small. Honestly though, if you do not plan to stay in your apartment for more than a couple of years, you can start just about any fruit tree and then just take it with you when you move into a house. It should not grow that big in a couple of years.

Ask a Question