Big Orange Tree - Fruits don't have flavor - how to care ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi All,

I have this big Orange tree in my backyard. It must be quite old from its size. I was told till about 2-3 yrs ago it had good tasting fruit. However the fruit now is quite juicy but does not have much flavor, kind of watery taste. If some are picked at exactly the right time, they do have somewhat ok flavor. I'm seeing dead branches so I'm guessing it needs some care, what do I need to do ? If I need to spray with something how do I get to the top etc, it must be abt 12-13ft tall. And whats the deal with those ornamental plants at its base, can they get trimmed and stay or do they need to be removed ?

Thanks much,
Norm

20161221_094547.jpg 20161221_094604.jpg 20161221_094609.jpg 20161221_094804.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi All,

I have this big Orange tree in my backyard. It must be quite old from its size. I was told till about 2-3 yrs ago it had good tasting fruit. However the fruit now is quite juicy but does not have much flavor, kind of watery taste. If some are picked at exactly the right time, they do have somewhat ok flavor. I'm seeing dead branches so I'm guessing it needs some care, what do I need to do ? If I need to spray with something how do I get to the top etc, it must be abt 12-13ft tall. And whats the deal with those ornamental plants at its base, can they get trimmed and stay or do they need to be removed ?

Thanks much,
Norm

View attachment 16161 View attachment 16162 View attachment 16163 View attachment 16164
In my experience citrus doesn't like things growing under its canopy. Citrus doesn't usually need fertilizer but in this case it may be probable that the plants growing underneath it my be causing the lack of flavor in the fruit. Next year I would fertilize it more or get rid of those plants. I know of no reason why fruit looses its taste or sweetness.

Ask a Question