Fruits or vegs that you are keen to buy but reluctant to serve

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I was very hungry half an hour ago. I raked my brain as to what I could eat - Ker-ching! Oh, yes! I bought several pomegranates - 25p for 2 and they were big and red.

Crikey! It was hard work eating the fruit. I quartered it and the juice was everywhere. Then I grimaced when I bit into the bitter white bits in between the seeds and the real seeds were hard and worst of all, the juice was extremely bitter. As the fruit is so difficult to serve, they have been in the fridge for more than 5 days .. The very thought of serving them puts me off.

I have vowed never to find this fruit again. They were 25p too expensive for 2!

What other fruits present you with a similar unpleasant experience - keen to buy (well, health benefits), but you just keep leaving them in the fridge as they are so awkward to serve?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mangos! I love the canned ones and thought that fresh would be even better, but OMG , where is the meat? It was all one huge pit, and hard to remove on top of it. Never again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have found the best pomegranates are the ones that are so ripe they are almost rotten. I have never eaten the membrane but the seeds are great. My youngest daughter used to love them. We had to buy at least one a week.

As for Mango, yeah they are a pain but oh so good.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Mangos! I love the canned ones and thought that fresh would be even better, but OMG , where is the meat? It was all one huge pit, and hard to remove on top of it. Never again!

Have you tried the kidney mango in which the pit is small, the fragrance is incredible and the flesh simply out of this world?

I totally agree! It's so messy and slippery and with juice dripping all through the fingers. I have to cut it either side of the flat bit of the pit and handle with middle bit by hand..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Silentrunning I will take a photo of my remaining promies.. They look soooo promising .. BIG AND RED and yet so bitter.. What have I let myself into and they are usually not cheap. Think your daughter has wised up:LOL::LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
A vegetable I am tempted to buy are artichokes. After removing the tough outer leaves and cutting off the bottom, one is left with about one half of what you purchased. I just can't justify having an artichoke heart which I have no idea how to use that costs almost as much as the rest of my groceries.
Bananas are another difficult food for me. After you take off the skin and throw away the bone, what do you have:confused:?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You can grow artichoke if you have the space. Yes, another one of those nightmares. A lot of time to cook and so little to eat.

Another nightmare is surely pineapple.. Serving it is such a chore!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love bananas, but they make me belch. You'd think baking them would alter a chemical or something, but banana bread has the same effect.

I still eat them, but not as often, and it has to be because I really want one. :(

Bananas are another difficult food for me. After you take off the skin and throw away the bone,

Banana bones? :confused:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
upload_2017-12-3_16-8-20.jpeg
MaryMary, here is a "bare bone" banana. The skin is coming off, exposing the bone. Not much left after the peel is off and the bone removed.;)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The two parts are peel and bone? The inner part of the banana is the bone?

Is this a "marlingardenerism?" :cautious: :p :LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary You must be allergic to something in a banana..

I had stopped buying banana until I went to the cookery class where they emphasised on having more fruits and vegs. Also, @Larisa suggested this banana peel organic fertilser, so I have started buying them again. They are delicious when just ripe and still a bit firm.. Delicious stuff.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Another thing I feel dodgy about is Okra. People keep telling me how good it is. I bought a packet and they were a bit slimy to me. I might not have served them properly. I am not sure I want to buy them again.

Another thing is

bittergourd.jpg

This bitter gourd or melon. For some reason, I was told to boil them sliced and then squeeze the bitterness out together with the juice. It never worked as they would still be bitter!:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think God intentionally gave us two types of fruits and vegetables. The first are the ones we love to eat. The flavor is so enjoyable we look forward to eating them. The second type are the ones that are on earth to keep us from starving to death. People can eat them to sustain life but there is no enjoyment in their consumption. For many people things like turnips, rutabagas, and collard greens fall into the second category. Even though I love them myself, I would never serve such foods to guests.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@MaryMary You must be allergic to something in a banana..

:unsure: Might be a mild allergy. Green peppers and cucumbers do the same. I learned that peeling the cucumber will help solve that problem, and it seems to work. (y)

I do know I have an allergy to cantaloupe. :eek: Gives me a "pins and needles" type feeling in my mouth, a numbness, like it fell asleep!! Also a bit of swelling to my lips and tongue. I avoid it. :cautious:

:ROFLMAO: Look what I found!!

boneless-nanners.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The second type are the ones that are on earth to keep us from starving to death.

Haha! You mean god can be a bit naughty! :eek::D

You took the words out of my mouth. Once I bought a swede (rutabagas), I nearly chopped my fingers off grappling with the hard solid concrete ball that's what we called swede. Then it tasted as bland as rubber. I have sworn never to buy it again.

Turnip, on the other hand, can be delicious if you slice it vertically and roast it until it is a bit golden on the edges. It has a distinctive flavour.

Ask a Question