want to grow fruits

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
either grape - blk. berrie - i live in the sandhill`s of N.C. - sandy but i can get egg shell compost any time - temps right now in the 70`s - is it a good time to plant and what do you suggest

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Need to know a little more here if that's ok - what is your hardiness zone, how much space do you have, and is the area open or face a particular direction?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Bubba, we are in zone 8 also, but in Texas with black prairie soil. We have had luck with Mars seedless grapes, Granny Smith apples, and Asian pears. We haven't tried blackberries because there is a lady who has a farm market near us and she has about two acres of blackberries. She pegs down the canes to make new plants after each bearing season.
Do some research on the varieties of fruit that are best for your area, and plant during the dormant period. With both your and our high summer temperatures, we want the plants to be well settled in before the heat hits. We plant fruit trees in January/February. They need frequent watering during the first year, and then back off a bit during their second year. The grapes got the same treatment. You'll also want to read up on how to prune grapes--otherwise they put energy into vines and leaves, and less into making grapes!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
yea i`m in zone 8 like i said it is 70 near 80 daily i can face any direction - and space isin`t an issue THANKS
bubba man, you never said you were in zone 8. The only facts you had given as to your climate was that you live in N.C. and "temps right now in the 70`s" You only added the "near 80" when she asked for details. o_O

Please remember that not all of the members of the forum live in the U.S. This is why people should put their hardiness zone on their profile. "North Carolina" and "temps in the 70s" tells those members very little about your growing season.

YOU'RE WELCOME. :rolleyes:

Edited to turn off e-mail notifications.

Last edited:

Ask a Question