Problem with Jalapeño Fruits

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I have a couple of jalapeño plants hitting their second summer. The largest of the lot is covered in fruit but 90% of them look pretty strange. I wonder if you could take a look and give me some advice. I have attached photos.

They are growing in Melbourne Australia. Our summer has been quite strange. 39 celsius yesterday, 22 today. I remember last year they did the same thing though.

Thanks in advance for any help! I love my chilli plants.
IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all,

I have a couple of jalapeño plants hitting their second summer. The largest of the lot is covered in fruit but 90% of them look pretty strange. I wonder if you could take a look and give me some advice. I have attached photos.

They are growing in Melbourne Australia. Our summer has been quite strange. 39 celsius yesterday, 22 today. I remember last year they did the same thing though.

Thanks in advance for any help! I love my chilli plants.View attachment 16376
View attachment 16375

Kind of seems like it could be blossom end rot (from Calcium deficiency) How much do you fertilize. If the plant is getting too much Nitrogen, it will limit the uptake of Calcium the plant receives. Plants in pots are more prone to dry out faster or get water logged which messes up the plants ability to get calcium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Doesn't blossom end rot affect primarily the part of the fruit right around the stem? (Not arguing, just asking.)

I have no clue, otherwise, sorry. Frost damage can look like this but that's clearly not the case here.

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Doesn't blossom end rot affect primarily the part of the fruit right around the stem? (Not arguing, just asking.)

I have no clue, otherwise, sorry. Frost damage can look like this but that's clearly not the case here.
Nope it mainly affects the bottom the worse and I've seen it spread to other parts, but honestly mostly on tomatoes. I'd try adding a little calcium to the plant or plants for about a month and check the progress. If problem still persists then can troubleshoot something else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't think it is a nutrient deficiency. I think it is insect damage from when the fruits were first forming, probably thrips or mites, but, I 'm not possitive

Ask a Question