What fruit can I grow in a small space?

Reaction score
I have a small barren patch in my backyard that's not being used. I would like to plant some type of fruit there. It's about 15 square feet of space. Any suggestions anyone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
You did not give to much description of the space, you could do berries. I have black berries that I trellis, they have prickers so if it is an area where people or children pass you might not want that. If I had 15sq ft I would do more blackberries, all trellised in the shape of an L on the end, I would add blueberries and currants you could do a square design and add cute semi raised box beds on the opposite side of the Blackberry L with strawberries, it would be a regular berry patch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Raspberries only need a planting distance of 18 inches so they may be worth considering and also Strawberries as they can be planted as close as 10 inches. For a mix of different fruits you could have some currants which you can plant 3ft apart or a couple of Gooseberries at 4-5ft apart. If you were after fruit trees rather than fruit bushes you could grow some apples and pears and train as cordons which would only need planting distance of 2.6ft.
deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk

Reaction score
Okay, that sounds like a plan. I guess I'll be planting berries next spring. Thanks for the good advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Okay, that sounds like a plan. I guess I'll be planting berries next spring. Thanks for the good advice. I'll let you know how it goes.
Remember, with strawberries, you can plant "up". You create a pyramid type raised bed (you can find them in gardening supply catalogs) and that way they don't take up as much ground space. Also, they're easier to weed and pick as you don't have to bend over quite as much.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a gardening newbie, so excuse the dumb question, but why would you plant when it's dormant?
It's like moving it in its sleep, so you don't disturb it.
You only need to do it with bare-root plants; if you buy your bushes in pots, you can plant them any time, as long as the ground isn't frozen or waterlogged.
If you buy a fruit tree, remember, one in three trees dies in the first year from under-watering.
Why not consider a "family" apple or pear tree. These have more than one variety grafted onto the rootstock.
Should you do so, I'd remind you that strawberries are naturally woodland plants, and you'll be able to plant them underneath a fruit tree.
Although you won't get quite the harvest of strawberries you would if they had the bed to themselves, it should still be worthwhile, and you get fruit in June from the strawberries, and in the autumn from the fruit tree.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd also suggest a tree. Not only do they offer plentiful fruits, if you plan to be there awhile and can take a return out it also provides shade in the summer. And organic fruits are the best, I can still eat store-bought berries, but fresh fruit from trees is unbeatable.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You can also grow plums. They are fleshy fruits, skin color vary depending on specific fruit species. It can either be red, yellow, and even pink. Some species such as the European Plums Prunus domestica are late flowering and have higher winter chill requirement and are better adapted to temperate areas. Depending on your location, you can choose the species best adapted to grow in your area. For a 15sq feet piece of land, one fruit tree will be enough. It is however important to note fruiting begins at the fourth year. Plant the plum fruit trees only if you can wait for four years.

Ask a Question