Plant Suggestions and re-arrangement of this backyard space

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I moved in this past summer, and addressed this previously weed lawn NORTH-facing backyard into an area I can enjoy. As you look at the picture....note the following:

1. front of the house is SOUTH-facing and gets morning sun
2. Left of the pic (WEST), and right is the (EAST)
3. Currently planted along west fence: Grape, 6 x different Hostas, 2 x grasses, Hydrangeas, Hollyhok, ninebark
4. currently planted along east fence: Rose, black eye susan, grass, ninebark
5. the Blue tarp area will be replaced with stones later
6. plan is to widen the beds to the Black landscape area in the pic

Help needed:
1. What plant should be planted where / moved to get maximum amount of light required based on sun direction;
2. I will like to attract butterflies and birds to the yard;
3. I will like some colourful/scented 'climbers' on the fence

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• PXL_20211125_152627482.jpg
    PXL_20211125_152627482.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like most parts of your garden will get at least half a day of sun. As plants grow up your garden may become shadier. Observe the light levels through out the day and year and plant accordingly. All the plants I mention below will want at least half a day of sun.

Research which butterflies are local to your area and plant those larval food plants. Right off the bat, I will suggest native milkweeds (Asclepias) and members of the Celery family (Apiaceae). Also plant nectar plants for the adults. A variety of daisies (Asteraceae) from Spring to Fall would be a good start. The classic Butterfly Bush (Buddleja davidii) will live up to its name. Do keep toxic pesticides out of your garden or all your butterfly dreams will come to naught.

Honeysuckle (Lonicera spp.) would be a good choice of vine as the flowers are colourful and will attract hummingbirds. Of course some are also fragrant.

Instead of using plastic weed cloth, just mulch yearly with organic mulch. You want the surface and subsurface of your soil to fully interact. With mulch and dense planting, weeding will be light work in a small garden.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It looks like most parts of your garden will get at least half a day of sun. As plants grow up your garden may become shadier. Observe the light levels through out the day and year and plant accordingly. All the plants I mention below will want at least half a day of sun.

Research which butterflies are local to your area and plant those larval food plants. Right off the bat, I will suggest native milkweeds (Asclepias) and members of the Celery family (Apiaceae). Also plant nectar plants for the adults. A variety of daisies (Asteraceae) from Spring to Fall would be a good start. The classic Butterfly Bush (Buddleja davidii) will live up to its name. Do keep toxic pesticides out of your garden or all your butterfly dreams will come to naught.

Honeysuckle (Lonicera spp.) would be a good choice of vine as the flowers are colourful and will attract hummingbirds. Of course some are also fragrant.

Instead of using plastic weed cloth, just mulch yearly with organic mulch. You want the surface and subsurface of your soil to fully interact. With mulch and dense planting, weeding will be light work in a small garden.
I appreciate your response and will consider the suggestions.

Missing.....from the plants I have so far listed above, which can stay where, and which ones need to be moved based on requirements/sun position???

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the plants are established and doing well there is no need to move them. Hosta and Hydrangea often like shade, but they are probably getting enough afternoon shade where they are planted.

Ask a Question