Ideas for 'dead space' at the back of a small London garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - I am a new user so please be kind
:)

I have a long but narrow London Garden with some 'dead space' at the end where the lawn transitions into soil (Very heavy, poor drainage) and then some laurel that hides the fence.

Would love to hear ideas on what I could do with this space? I've attached a few pictures. Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
What is the sun exposure in that location?

That will help you determine what you can plant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The way food prices are rising, it would be a perfect place to plant vegetables. Although it's narrow, you could stick in some stepping stones, and it is so well sheltered there!
As an edit.... you could increase that idea and grow veggies instead of grass - all the way back to the house, and include a few flowers for the bees :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, welcome to the forum, there is always the odd person, but generally I have found this a really friendly place.

My first thought was something bright to draw the eye down the garden, like a red rose or pelargonium. My next was to use containers of different heights as it is a bit of a straight line leading to it, that would be an easy way to beat the poorly drained London clay as well.
Personally I don't think much of laurel, it is green and easy and not much else. Replacing it could take time, but there are other 'easy' things that are scented, or colourful, like Choisya, Cotoneaster, or Red robin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Ouch , yes. The missus just read me a four item shopping list which came to over £11. Washing powder, caraway seeds, sultanas and butter.

If we're talking shopping. Retailers haven't had such a bonanza, since the introduction of decimalisation.

As for the garden, it might be an idea to reduce the height and depth of that "stuff" down the left hand side. With such a narrow garden, I'd want planting along the borders to be as "tight" to the fence as reasonably possible to allow in more light.

Ask a Question