How much space does a plant need?

s91

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I recently built a small greenhouse 10'x10'.
Saving seed from last year, cucumbers, zuchinis, and tomatoes, I did not think I would have good germination.(5%)
Low and behold, close to 100% germinated and came up and I don't think I have space for all of them.
(Last frost in my southern hemisphere location is mid-October).
What should i do?

Attachments

• 20220905_170410.jpg
    20220905_170410.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a bit of a contradiction in your location, New York is not Southern Hemisphere, so it is difficult to say exactly, but 'last frost' usually means 'last possible frost', and it is only a bit over a month away. There is a good chance that you could get away with something temporary outside, a cloche made from some hoops of plastic water pipe and a bit of plastic for example, the 'last frost' is unlikely to be the most severe one. You could simply give the excess away, or put it on the compost heap.
Whatever, reach for your inner hard man, keep the best and move out the rest. Good strong, healthy plants need space and it is better to have half as many of them as twice as many none of which are quite making it, keep the best, move out the rest.
Remember your initial expectation and asses your actual need, so often I have seen softhearted people try and keep every single plant going and ending up with nothing really worth having.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You will be getting a frost in Oct-Nov which means no planting this year. You will also have a frost in April-May of next year so that means about 7 months of growth in a little 10x10 area, plus, you still have to keep it warm during the winter. My advice, throw everything onto the compost pile and start again about the 1st of March.
Don't take the dates given in any report as to the first and last date of frosts as the Gospel Truth. All those are, are averages taken over many years and Mother Nature is always fooling us.

s91

Reaction score
Country
Australia
There is a bit of a contradiction in your location, New York is not Southern Hemisphere, so it is difficult to say exactly, but 'last frost' usually means 'last possible frost', and it is only a bit over a month away. There is a good chance that you could get away with something temporary outside, a cloche made from some hoops of plastic water pipe and a bit of plastic for example, the 'last frost' is unlikely to be the most severe one. You could simply give the excess away, or put it on the compost heap.
Whatever, reach for your inner hard man, keep the best and move out the rest. Good strong, healthy plants need space and it is better to have half as many of them as twice as many none of which are quite making it, keep the best, move out the rest.
Remember your initial expectation and asses your actual need, so often I have seen softhearted people try and keep every single plant going and ending up with nothing really worth having.
Yes, I was thinking the same. I am just going to need to pitch the excess... so be it.

s91

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You will be getting a frost in Oct-Nov which means no planting this year. You will also have a frost in April-May of next year so that means about 7 months of growth in a little 10x10 area, plus, you still have to keep it warm during the winter. My advice, throw everything onto the compost pile and start again about the 1st of March.
Don't take the dates given in any report as to the first and last date of frosts as the Gospel Truth. All those are, are averages taken over many years and Mother Nature is always fooling us.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I am in Australia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I am in Australia
For some reason I thought you were in Hunter New York. But since you're not, and the danger of frost has passed, plant them.
Cucumbers should be on a trellis, squash should be a minimum of 3 feet apart and tomato plants should be no less than 2 feet apart.

Ask a Question