Gardening journal

Reaction score
Do any of you keep a gardening journal? I've been working on keeping one over this past month and it has really helped. It has really been a big project for me as I'm terrible at keeping things like this updated. So far, so good!

Inside I keep a list of anything new that I've planted, changes I can see, mistakes, new things that I've learned, things that I want to try, fertilising dates etc

Right now it's contained in this little notebook, but I'd eventually like to create a binder with seed packets etc and maybe even photos. Do any of you folks have anything similar? I'd love to see them!

Attachments

• 2014-06-10 13.02.46.jpg
    2014-06-10 13.02.46.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 398
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do any of you keep a gardening journal? I've been working on keeping one over this past month and it has really helped. It has really been a big project for me as I'm terrible at keeping things like this updated. So far, so good!

Inside I keep a list of anything new that I've planted, changes I can see, mistakes, new things that I've learned, things that I want to try, fertilising dates etc

Right now it's contained in this little notebook, but I'd eventually like to create a binder with seed packets etc and maybe even photos. Do any of you folks have anything similar? I'd love to see them!
I have kept a spiral notebook every year for years. Planting dates, fertilizing, temperatures, varieties, harvest dates etc. Everyday I write down everything that was done in the garden. I have a mailbox attached to a stump at the entrance to my garden so I don't forget, right next to the beer cooler

Reaction score
I have been doing this for so long that I know without having to write it down. In the beginning I did a journal but haven't for a really long time, I just get out there and roll with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Revolvingtoast, your journal looks really pretty, I love its cover!:)
Personally, I keep a diary, but I write about everything in it, including my garden and my beautiful miniature roses. They're very dear to me, so I talk and write about them really often:D

Reaction score
Your journal looks so adorable, I loved that phrase! They say that doing more of what you love is a sure way to be happy! I plan to keep a gardening diary, a very simple one tho. I just plan to list when I planted what and what things I used to deal with any kind of issue and so on.

Reaction score

I really need to start one too....including the names of varieties of stuff I plant....which does good and which don't. I do keep all the tags of my favorites though.

Reaction score
I get started and I will be doing JUST fine, but then something will happen to distract me!

I have found it more doable to have a yearly journal instead of a weekly one. I will mention what did well for me that year, and what I should try (or try again) the next year, and so forth.

That way I can mention that the heat was bad enough that year to hurt everything but the okra and melons, or that the growing season was short and only "X" gave a good harvest. This means that if we get a late spring freeze and I know the growing season will be short I can look up what yields well in years with short growing seasons, and give them my best growing area. It also means that if the weatherman says it will be hot because there will be an El Nino during the summer, that I will know to plant okra and melons!

Ask a Question