Fruits that are fast growing? Particularly exotics?

Reaction score
I'm going to be ordering some fruiting plants soon - I'm interested in them all but the first ones I want to buy are fast growing ones that fruit fairly quickly because I can't wait to eat some fruit from my own garden!

I'm in Florida, in zone 9a. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to anything edible, whether it's 'normal' fruits or exotic ones. Or whether they're trees, shrubs, vines, groundcover, etc. I like literally everything, even weird fruits that people don't normally eat (for instance, I love the firethorn that I have growing in my yard, haha).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How quickly are we talking here? A lot of fruit trees take a couple of years to start bearing fruit, but if you bought a mature tree then you could have your first harvest this year.

Reaction score
As the majority of fruit is grown on trees - it is normally several years before you would expect to see any fruit but if as you mentioned - you are looking for something to tide you over whilst waiting for that to happen - any variety of melon would be a good choice - as they always bear fruit the same season that they are planted - as do most varieties of strawberry but particularly the ones known as " ever - bearing " strawberries - which you will find at most good garden stores :)

Reaction score
Anything from months up to 2 years is what I'm thinking of.

I imagine most will take at least a year to fruit. I do want to buy the plants as big as possible though, so that they will fruit faster. I think I'm right in thinking that a lot of citrus trees will already be fruiting when sold? I've seen fruit on citrus trees for sale at stores before and they weren't very big trees. Maybe in the 4 ft range.

I've got a blueberry plant coming (I ordered it) so I'm hoping I'll be seeing blueberries next year :D

Ask a Question