Fruit tree you wish you could grow

Reaction score
I really REALLY want to be able to grow blueberries, and other berry species.

I live in Southern Australia, and we just don't get those overnight freezes required to set these plants into fruit. I bought a "Jostaberry" last year. It's a very healthy plant: it's vegetation thrives but I doubt I'll ever get any berries from it. Berries are my favourite fruits, and we get completely ripped off. US $6 for a small punnet of blueberries here. I'm considering moving to a cooler climate, just so I can grow berries. I like the cold/rain too :)

Reaction score
I really REALLY want to be able to grow blueberries, and other berry species.

I live in Southern Australia, and we just don't get those overnight freezes required to set these plants into fruit. I bought a "Jostaberry" last year. It's a very healthy plant: it's vegetation thrives but I doubt I'll ever get any berries from it. Berries are my favourite fruits, and we get completely ripped off. US $6 for a small punnet of blueberries here. I'm considering moving to a cooler climate, just so I can grow berries. I like the cold/rain too :)
Try growing pomegranates. i love pomegranates.. this again is one of the healthy berries.. i just can't have enough of those..
I would love to grow blue berries too like you.

Reaction score
I live in the Philippines and it has been my dream (yes, really a dream!) to see an apple tree. We actually have a lot of fruit trees here like coconuts, mangoes, pomelos, and guavas, but it would really be great for me to see an apple tree. How about you? Is there a particular fruit you wish you could grow in your place?
Apple trees will not grow in the Philippines? I did not know that but fruit trees and trees in general have not, as of yet, been a big part of my gardening experience. Why won't they grow their? Do they need to winter?

Reaction score
I have a new garden and I have a Cherry tree which is one of my favorites, but I wish I had a Durian tree. I know my wish won’t come true as I live in England and Durian needs a lot of sunshine, they grow mostly in South East Asia. I fell in love with the fruit when I was in Thailand about four years ago. It’s very unusual, very large, doesn’t smell too good, very sharp outer skin, but boy oh boy the fruit on the inside is delicious.

Reaction score
I have a new garden and I have a Cherry tree which is one of my favorites, but I wish I had a Durian tree. I know my wish won’t come true as I live in England and Durian needs a lot of sunshine, they grow mostly in South East Asia. I fell in love with the fruit when I was in Thailand about four years ago. It’s very unusual, very large, doesn’t smell too good, very sharp outer skin, but boy oh boy the fruit on the inside is delicious.
Wow if it did grow at all and produce fruits your neighbor may have a hard time living next to you lol.. That thing really smells foul.. i have never had the courage to taste the fruit though. I think a jackfruit tree would be pleasanter. That is a bigger version of a durian and smells lovely can be strong.

Reaction score
Hi Maddie I agree that Jack fruit would smell better! Yes they are larger than Durian and don’t hurt your hands when you try to pick them up unless they fall on your head, as you say Jack fruit are very big!

Reaction score
I got a fig tree and will see what happens .
I've got a small fig tree (about 24 ins high) in a pot. I put it in the spare room for the winter and when I brought back out I found a tiny fig on the top. Don't know if it will get big enough to eat, but I'll protect it from the birds and keep my fingers crossed.

Reaction score
I love fruits, and I prefer to eat them over chips and unhealthy instant foods. I have few favorites though, and these are the ones I wish I can grow in my own backyard. However, considering the location where I live, it is pretty much hard to bear the fruits on my list. They are lychees, mangosteen, lemons, passion fruit, and strawberries. If only I can grow them in my property, it will really be very nice to just pick them from the trees and eat them right there and then.

Reaction score
I would love to grow a banana tree. I eat an insane amount of bananas and can never seem to buy enough. I would also love to grow pomegranates and mangoes. Maybe I need to move somewhere tropical?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm pretty sure that it's possible to grow a banana tree indoors, Mariam. They don't need a pollinator. But you would have to find a rather big container.
The plant itself looks really nice:

traditional-plants.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Claudine's right, you could even grow one outside if you were to wrap it up over winter.

I grew one from seed. Used half a barrel as a plant pot, it got huge in about 4 years.

Reaction score
I would agree with Claudine - you can can grow banana plants inside - but unfortunately even though they will grow inside they rarely fruit when grown that way and think like Zigs has already mentioned - if growing them for fruit rather than ornamental purposes - outside would be the best option - as when they die down in the winter - you could protect them with a mulch or if grown in a pot - overwinter the pot inside.
We grow bananas where I live and can tell you - there are many, many different varieties to choose from including some suitable for growing in colder less humid conditions.
However there is one thing that I think I should mention to anyone wanting to grow bananas for their fruit and that is - don't expect them to taste like the ones you buy from the store - because whatever variety you choose - they don't and in fact some taste quite disgusting :(

Mariam - am sure that - even though you might enjoy the lengthy process of eating or preparing pomegranates - that you would actually enjoy having a pomegranate tree in your garden as although they look extremely attractive when groomed

pomegranate.jpg

pomegranate tree.jpg

pomeranate, California.JPG

they are known to attract just about every kind of living insect imaginable and unless continually sprayed with pesticide can look particularly unattractive.
Where I live most people grow pomegranate trees not for their fruit or ornamental value - but for keeping the insects off their vegetables and it is not at all unusual to see vegetable gardens planted with pomegranate hedges to ward off the insects - it works too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I'm pretty sure that it's the first time when I see pomegranate trees. They really are pretty! I often eat pomegranates though and I find them delicious, but I wish they didn't have so many seeds:eek:

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm pretty sure that it's the first time when I see pomegranate trees. They really are pretty! I often eat pomegranates though and I find them delicious, but I wish they didn't have so many seeds:eek:

I would agree with you that pomegranate trees can look very pretty - especially if they look like those in the picture but as they are extremely rapid untidy growers - unless they have been painstakingly cared for - can look very untidy and incredibly unattractive once they are covered in sticky residue from the bugs that are frequenting them.:(

I don't much like eating the seeds as they take so long to eat - but here - when in season pomegranates feature in many recipes as there is such an abundance of them - but the most popular way of enjoying it - is as pomegranate syrup, sauce or juice - which so long as you haven't had to do it yourself as it takes so long - is seriously delicious when used as a syrup or sauce for fruit or ice cream and pomegranate juice is one everybody's favorite summer drinks as its really, really delicious when drunk on its own or added to wine or champagne and of course when drunk in the form of the well known syrup liquor - grenadine :)

Reaction score
I tend to do better with plants outdoors, but I might still try to grow a banana tree one day. Right now, I have neither the space nor the light requirements. My one good lighting window is already full of plants!

Ask a Question