Patio Fruit Trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Our garden's too small for any fruit tree that grows to any size, but we've a couple in big tubs on the small patio next to the shed.
We've had them for about eight years.

This is our Conference pear. It wasn't much smaller than this when we bought it, but do prune it every year. It took five years to produce a single pear. But last year and the year before, it bucked its ideas up and we got about three dozen in each year.

It's looking its best today and the bees have been very busy around it which is good news.
P1010323.JPG

Conversely this Morello cherry next to it fruited the first year and every year since. I actually eat some of the fruit as I don't mind that they aren't at all sweet. We did make a pureé of some in a few years to have with ice cream, but lately we've not bothered. There's many more flowers to open yet.

P1010324.JPG

Trouble is, the birds like them.

P1030762.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's the trouble, we only have one cherry tree now ,got rid of the other one last year.
It's too big to net, so we let the birds enjoy themselves :D:ROFLMAO:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morello is not a dessert cherry. Go for Stella. But the fruits in my old tree had all their bottom kissed by some nasties. So I got rid of it. My mistake to have planted it in the garden. Now all my new fruit trees are in pots. Recently, B&Q is selling some smaller one with £10 and on 20% discount day, I got two for £8 each. One gala apple and one Mirabelle de Nancy. My peach tree looks like dying, not one leaf or a flower. :cry:

Sean: They certainly look very good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Morello is not a dessert cherry. Go for Stella. But the fruits in my old tree had all their bottom kissed by some nasties. So I got rid of it. My mistake to have planted it in the garden. Now all my new fruit trees are in pots. Recently, B&Q is selling some smaller one with £10 and on 20% discount day, I got two for £8 each. One gala apple and one Mirabelle de Nancy. My peach tree looks like dying, not one leaf or a flower. :cry:

Sean: They certainly look very good.

We had a small Stella but the birds pinched all the fruit, even when we put a net over it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I will make sure that the tree will be inside when it fruits ... LOL! Desperate to claim my rightful share!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I know it sounds stupid. I'm buying patio variety and will take them in the lean to for ripening .. I don't like big fruit trees any way or any more!

Ask a Question