Fruit tree you wish you could grow

Reaction score
I'm in Florida zone 9a so I can grow most fruit trees, although the cold intolerant ones have to be protected so that rules out large ultra tropicals that can't handle cold temperatures.

I wish I could grow coconut palms, acai palms, breadfruit, durian, full sized mango trees (I can grow dwarf ones), rambutan, mangosteen, pulsans, pedalai, rambai, langsat, duku, certain avocado varieties, cherries (low chill cherries may be doable, problem is humidity might hurt the tree) and stone fruit varieties that need more chill hours than my zone can provide.

I want to experiment with things that probably can't fruit in my area though, just for fun and out of wishful thinking that I might actually succeed. I know of many people in zone 10a/10b that experiment with rambutan, mangosteen, etc so it's worth a try!

Reaction score
I love this! It just goes to show that where you come from really effects what you have access to in terms of gardening. I live in Canada and apple trees are everywhere! We have massive orchards, and it's a family tradition to go apple picking. We also had two apple trees at my house growing up. I would love to have the fruit trees in which you have access to; mangos, coconuts, etc. I think that would be lovely; because I do not have regular access to it. If I could, I would gladly trade you an apple tree for a mango tree.

Reaction score
On the property i intend on buying i will try to grow apples,oranges,pears and grapes (i know, not really a tree). I would like to be able to grow mangoes, but it wouldn't be the right temperament I'm afraid

Reaction score
I live in the Philippines and it has been my dream (yes, really a dream!) to see an apple tree. We actually have a lot of fruit trees here like coconuts, mangoes, pomelos, and guavas, but it would really be great for me to see an apple tree. How about you? Is there a particular fruit you wish you could grow in your place?
Actually I have that same dream. :) I live in the tropical north of Australia, which is probably quite similar to your climate. And I would love to have an apple tree in my garden. I really like the Golden Delicious variety, but rarely get it up here. I don't trust the supermarket apples, and the ones in the health food store have usually been kept for so long that they start to shrivel.
Somebody told me that there is actually an apple variety that can survive in the tropics. I will let you know when I find out. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Yeah,all kinds of berries! :D Umm..okay,they are not trees! Hmm.. I would love to grow Apple tree then.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been wanting to grow a banana tree but been told they don't grow in KY. I have never really seen a banana tree other than in a bush buying magazine. I think it would be cool to raise my own bananas.

Reaction score
I love citrus, any kind of citrus! Those smooth, shiny leaves and the scent of the flowers on a summer night: it's wonderful! And then there is the fruit in the Fall!

Edible citrus will not grow here. It is too cold here for anything but the Trifoliate Orange, which has bitter fruit. I would consider it, though it might not even bloom in Kansas.

Reaction score
A lemon tree. Lemons here are skyrocketing in price... which hasn't been so bad, because before lemons rose in price over here we used small green limes instead of the big yellow lemons. I must say I really love the taste of the yellow lemons, would love to grow my own lemon tree and make my own limonetto with those clean, pesticide-free lemons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
I'm from the Philippines too, and I would love to grow an apple tree. We do have a local variety that they say grows well here. I don't know the name, but it bears fairly small yellowish-red fruit with some hints of green. I just had some the other week, unfortunately I forgot to put some seeds aside. Have to keep my eye out for it again.

Other trees I wish would grow well in our garden would be the avocado, papaya and mango. Oh, and jackfruit. I just love jackfruit, and it's so expensive in the market that it would be a coup to just have the tree growing in your garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would really love to have a lemon tree and a cherry tree. I live in the Pacific Northwest and could grow a cherry tree if I had a yard, but I don't think I would have any luck with the lemon tree. I would love to make lemonade from my own fresh lemons.

Reaction score
I wish I could grow a pomegranate tree, but as many poms that come off of one versus what my family and I could eat would be a lot of waste. I would also love to have a coconut tree because coconut oil has so many uses. Coconuts are great all around fruits because the fruit is tasty and so is the milk. I just love coconut! I would also love to have a fuji apple tree, but we don't have anymore room in out backyard, we'd have to remove something. That wouldn't happen because we have so many other great trees.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I lived in California there were peach, plum and an orange tree in the yard of the home we lived in. It was great to have access to the fruit when ever we wanted. I just would have loved having a lemon tree in the yard also. I would still like a lemon tree in the yard. I no longer live in California and miss the variety of fruit trees that can be planted.

Reaction score
I would love to have an orange tree. I live in a climate that would not produce oranges though, so I guess I'll have to visit Florida to see that! :) We do have a lot of apples trees that thrive here. I had an apple tree growing up and we used to go out and pick the apples and make apple pie. We also had a cherry tree, which is absolutely beautiful in the spring.

Reaction score
California Central Valley (desert climate)
Gosh swing by my house in Dec-Jan and grab some oranges! We produce SO many that the kids eventually tire of them by the end of winter and I can't even give them away fast enough. Looks like this year will be another bountiful tree. We had it trimmed for the first time so it grew back very strong and even with half the branches we've probably got double the fruit! It gets to the point where no one wants orange juice, orange loaf, orange marmalade, orange jelly, orange anything by the time half the fruit is gone. But it IS nice those first 4-6 weeks to have the fresh fruit and the kids get excited to pick their snacks off the tree.

Ask a Question