Fruit tree you wish you could grow

Reaction score
I live in the Philippines and it has been my dream (yes, really a dream!) to see an apple tree. We actually have a lot of fruit trees here like coconuts, mangoes, pomelos, and guavas, but it would really be great for me to see an apple tree. How about you? Is there a particular fruit you wish you could grow in your place?

Reaction score
I just bought four fruit trees! I bought two pear, and two cherry - planted them in pots, as I plan to move in about 5 years, but less than 24 hours after I planted them, it snowed lightly - but it kept *on* snowing lightly, for about 30 hours in total, it just didn't stop. I really hope they survive.

As to what I wish for - you've said them! Coconut, mango and guava, for sure. And citrus too - I'd like my own lemon tree, and an orange tree too - fresh oranges *and* marmalade, idyllic :)

Reaction score
I'd love to have a cherry tree.. not just for the fruits but for the beautiful blooms.. I also love avocado I wish I had the space to grow one.. The house I rented a few years ago had a lovely tree from which I got hundreds of fruits in season.. I am actually addicted to avocados.

Reaction score
If I could get avocadoes fresh from the tree like my cousins in Zimbabwe, I'd be addicted to them too! In the UK, I've given up trying to get them, completely - they sell ordinary avocadoes, and "ready to eat" - but those are just as hard as the ordinary ones, and by the time you press them and they *feel* ready, you cut them open and they're full of black threads ... very unpleasant :(

What I do instead is buy cold pressed avocado oil - its *really* expensive, but I just drizzle it over my food a couple of times a week (I don't cook it!) and at least I get the micronutrients that way.

Reaction score
I have three hardy arctic kiwi vines. In order for it to fruit you need to have a male and a female and I have had no luck in the five or so years I have owned them.

Jed

Reaction score
I would love to grow fruit trees full stop.:(
The local wildlife makes this near impossible. I do have a lemon tree growing in the hot house and a walnut tree which, would you believe, nothing eats the leaves but I need to plant out another if I want walnuts.
If and when I get my conservatory built I plan to espalier a fruit tree or two.

Reaction score
I would happyily grow any fruit tree. They take sooooo long to plant/grow from the beginning, though, and I've never lived in a place long enough to really try even. My aunt had peach trees, but I never got to visit during the times where they were really in their prime...only after they had all dropped to the ground or been eaten up by bugs.

Reaction score
I would love to be able to grow kiwi's. I have read up some on growing them but it seems a little technical and somewhat intimidating so i have yet to try. But it is one of my favorite fruits to eat so would be great to be able to harvest my own from my back yard.

dim

Reaction score
avo's (my favourite vegetable (fruit) .... I spent my early childhood in Zambia (was called Northern Rhodesia), and we had several avocado trees in our garden, together with mangoes, pears, peaches etc .... best way to eat them, is slice them in half (with the skin on), remove the pip, add some salt and cracked black pepper, and fill the recess where the pip was with brown grape vinegar or modena vinegar ... eat with a teaspoon from the skinned halfs

old fashioned mangoes (the hairy ones), eaten immediately when they are picked off the tree and very ripe

oranges (I lived in south africa, and the oranges there are superb, especially when freshly eaten straight away after picking them off the tree when they are very ripe ... even tastier, are the oranges grown in Israel

watermellons (not a tree, but one of my favourite fruits) .... eaten ice cold, with lots of good greek feta cheese

cape yellow kling peaches .... when fully ripe and picked off the tree and eaten straight away, is one on the nicest fruits in existance in south africa

granadellas (passion fruit) .... a vine, but one of my favourites

ripe fresh grapes, picked off the vine and cooled in a fridge and eaten with roquefort cheese ... the best that I have ever had are a seedless green grape, grown in the northern cape in the upington/Keimoes area of south africa, and which is used to make sultanas and a very sweet (potent) port wine

south african red plums .... as large as tennis balls, very juicy (the juice squirts out when you bite into it) and extemely sweet

Marulas (a wild african fruit that has a sour/sweet taste) ... the fruit falls off the trees, and animals such as monkeys and elephants eat it off the ground when it starts to ferment .... and they get drunk (they sell a liquer called Amarula which is made from that)

baobab fruit .... from a strange looking tree in africa .... a sour type nutty fruit .... now, it's being sold in powder form in healthshops as a 'super fruit'

luckily, we get all of the above in the UK (except for marulas and baobab fruit) , but it is shipped in, and does not taste as good as when it is picked fresh (and ripe) ...most of these can not be grown where I live :(

if I had to choose only 1 to grow here in the UK, I'd go for the avocado

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dim you are making me feel very hungry!! :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oops, he already did at the begining of the post, missed that bit.

Reaction score
I just recently planted my first fruit trees an apple and a cherry tree, I'm contemplating getting another variety of apple, after all you can't eat too many apples it might even inspire my mrs to bake an apple pie or 2

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
It isn't a fruit tree, but I would like to have my own coconut tree. I live in Alabama, so it is not real cold, it certainly not tropical either. I bought four little banana plants last fall, and have had them in the house all winter, and am going to put them in the yard this summer. I read that they can have fruit in about 9 months, so I am hoping to get bananas before it gets too cold this fall. Then they die down here for the winter, and come back in the Spring. So, if it works, I will get a pup from several of them next fall, and do the same thing for the next year.

Ask a Question