Fried Green Tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Annetteb, it must be awful to be allergic to tomatoes, I feel very sorry for your sister:( I know how she feels, because I'm gluten intolerant and I had to give up on many delicious things too. It would break my heart if I couldn't eat tomatoes though. I'm addicted to them:X3:

Reaction score
Yeah that would be bad. My sister hates that she can't eat tomatoes like she use to. I just hope I don't get allergic to them because I love tomatoes too and I would really hate not being able to eat them again.

Reaction score
At the end of our growing season, we always pick the green tomatoes and fry them. We just smother them in flour with some seasonings and fry them up. I was a little nervous when I tried them the first time, but found that they were delicious, especially with Ranch.:)

Reaction score
I made fried green tomatoes and wasn't crazy about them. I think the problem was with the cook which was me! I'd like to try them again but this time I will let someone else do the cooking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
The tomato is a member of the deadly nightshade family. There is debate as to whether or not green tomatoes contain enough solanin to be of concern. It seems that moderate amounts of green tomatoes are safe, but you would probably be better off not overdoing it. Potatoes are also nightshades and care must be taken to not store them where they are exposed to much sunlight. If they develop a green color, do not eat the green part.

Reaction score
Fried green tomatoes are delicious, as are fried okra and fried pickles. When we would eat raw green tomatoes growing up (as children sometimes do) the worse thing that would ever happen would be a funny taste in our mouths and a case of the trots. I'm not saying that they aren't poisonous, but unless you are allergic or eat large quantities, you should be fine. When we pick tomatoes to fry, they aren't very green, but right before they ripen.

Ask a Question