Fried Green Tomatoes

Reaction score
I fry my fried green tomatoes with cornmeal instead of flour. It has a "fried fish" breading to make it kind of crunchy. I love them between bread with hot sauce, they make a great sandwich. The are excellent with grits.

Reaction score
I don't really use a recipe for mine... Usually an egg dip and breadcrumb breading, seasoned with Old Bay or lemon-pepper. I'm not a big fan of frying anything, just because I don't enjoy the process and the mess, so I don't do them often but when I do I really enjoy them. I also use diced green tomatoes in stir-fries and ratatouille; they add a nice tangy note to any mix of cut veggies, I think.

Reaction score
We were talking about this on the other, other forum, someone had heard they can be poisonous raw, but we couldn't confirm or deny this. Anyone else know if thats true?
I'm no scientist, and I've never read an article stating one way or the other, but I do know my dog used to get in our garden all the time growing up and sometimes she ate the green ones. She was fine, but sometimes things weren't so great coming out the other end, if you catch my drift. :x
Not sure how it would affect humans, but my guess is that it wouldn't kill you. :eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was guessing it would be more of a tummy upset, you get the same if you eat unripe apples.:sick:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Dogs eat many different things when you let them run freely in your garden. I know, because I'm a dog owner too:) My Yorkie eats not only apples and other fruits, but also cones and grass:eek:. So when he is sick, it's hard to tell the reason.
Also, when he likes something, he swallows it without chewing, so sometimes a perfectly good food make his tummy upset:(

Reaction score
Dogs can also get sick from things that don't faze us, and vice versa. We're omnivores with nice long intestines, while they're carnivores and stuff shoots right through them! So it's probably better not to use them as taste testers ;)

Reaction score
I haven't read the book or saw the movie, but I have had fried green tomatoes. My mom use to make them from the tomatoes from their garden. I loved them and quite enjoyed eating them. I hated it when they stopped gardening and we no longer had them.

Reaction score
I was guessing it would be more of a tummy upset, you get the same if you eat unripe apples.:sick:
Ooh, good point. I suppose that seems a bit more feasible, hmm. Very likely then, I'm guessing...I remember that Maggie would get sick on occasion so I guess the same would happen in humans, especially if they overindulged in some that weren't cooked properly...

Reaction score
I haven't made fried green tomatoes before because I was never good at watching my mom make them so I never tried. I tried making fried okra once like my mom and it was a disaster. I decided to not make fried vegetables anymore after that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not very talented at cooking either, but I still want to take the risk and try. From what I heard, fried green tomatoes are delicious:) Also, people here share some gread tips:D
I think that experimenting may be fun:)
The only vegetable that I fried so far was zucchini and it turned out pretty good:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I fry a fair bit of stuff, I eat fish but not land animals so a bit of oil in my diet doesn't hurt.

I salt slices of Courgette for half an hour before frying them, lovely :)

Reaction score
I also use cornmeal instead of flour. I like to double dip the tomatoes in the batters. First the cornmeal. Then the egg wash and then back into the cornmeal. This seems to help the batter stay on the tomatoes.

Reaction score
I also use cornmeal instead of flour. I like to double dip the tomatoes in the batters. First the cornmeal. Then the egg wash and then back into the cornmeal. This seems to help the batter stay on the tomatoes.

Hmm I will have to try that. Keeping the batter on the vegatables has been my problem. I would use only flour and egg batter. I have not used cornmeal before. I will be trying that.

Reaction score
Hmm I will have to try that. Keeping the batter on the vegatables has been my problem. I would use only flour and egg batter. I have not used cornmeal before. I will be trying that.
Tell me what you think of it when you try it! You know what's funny? I dip my fried green tomatoes in ketchup! That is tomato with even more tomato. I guess you can say that I like tomatoes.

Reaction score
Lol that does sound like you really like tomatoes. I like them too as well as my siblings. My sister can't eat too many of them anymore because she is now allergic to them. She hates that because she lives tomatoes too.

Ask a Question