Dying Hibiscus. Scatched away bark and still green

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Eselwyn, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Eselwyn

Eselwyn

Hi,

I brought a hibiscus in the summer and it thrived outside. The plant was not doing well in the cold, some leaves dying, so I brought the plant in for winter, now all the leaves have died and there has been no growth. The soil is moist, although worry it might be too damp.

Please help.

Thanks,

Eddie

Attached Files:

Eselwyn, Nov 27, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Eselwyn

Silentrunning

Welcome to the forum Eddie. First it would help us to know your hardiness zone. There are several types of Hibiscus so it would also help to know what type you have.

Silentrunning, Nov 27, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Eselwyn

Eselwyn

I would guess the hardiness zone is an 8. The Hibiscus was brought from M&S and had red flowers. So it think its a tropical types, but not really 100% sure.

Thank you.

Eselwyn, Nov 28, 2018
  4. Eselwyn

Silentrunning

D414F0C9-928D-48A3-8AC9-A8C76D9C11BF.jpeg This is the flower of the hardy Hibiscus. If it looks similar to this it will be fine outside in zone 8. Mine have lost their leaves for the winter but will blossom with new growth in the spring.

Silentrunning, Nov 28, 2018
  5. Eselwyn

Sheal

Welcome Eddie. :)

Does this look familiar.....

088.JPG

I would imagine this is the type of Hibiscus you have? If so the leaves will die back and it will remain dormant over the winter. They are also late to leaf up in the Spring. This type of Hibiscus grows into a medium sized shrub and should really be planted in the ground.

It would help us please if you would enter your area in your avatar box, that in turn will give us an idea of your climate.

Sheal, Nov 28, 2018
  6. Eselwyn

alp

Hibiscus could be quite tough. As sheal says, it might be better to plant it in the ground in somewhere warm in your garden ie. somewhere near concrete, with the longest sunshine hours. They are tough cookie so they should be able to survive. You can change the soil, but don't overwater it as overwatering tends to kill plants in winter.

It does like the sun. You could even take cuttings and give them some bottom heat at about 15c. The stems still look quite healthy!

alp, Nov 29, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question