Dying Hibiscus. Scatched away bark and still green

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I brought a hibiscus in the summer and it thrived outside. The plant was not doing well in the cold, some leaves dying, so I brought the plant in for winter, now all the leaves have died and there has been no growth. The soil is moist, although worry it might be too damp.

Please help.

Thanks,

Eddie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Eddie. First it would help us to know your hardiness zone. There are several types of Hibiscus so it would also help to know what type you have.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Eddie. First it would help us to know your hardiness zone. There are several types of Hibiscus so it would also help to know what type you have.

I would guess the hardiness zone is an 8. The Hibiscus was brought from M&S and had red flowers. So it think its a tropical types, but not really 100% sure.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
D414F0C9-928D-48A3-8AC9-A8C76D9C11BF.jpeg
This is the flower of the hardy Hibiscus. If it looks similar to this it will be fine outside in zone 8. Mine have lost their leaves for the winter but will blossom with new growth in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Eddie. :)

Does this look familiar.....

088.JPG

I would imagine this is the type of Hibiscus you have? If so the leaves will die back and it will remain dormant over the winter. They are also late to leaf up in the Spring. This type of Hibiscus grows into a medium sized shrub and should really be planted in the ground.

It would help us please if you would enter your area in your avatar box, that in turn will give us an idea of your climate.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hibiscus could be quite tough. As sheal says, it might be better to plant it in the ground in somewhere warm in your garden ie. somewhere near concrete, with the longest sunshine hours. They are tough cookie so they should be able to survive. You can change the soil, but don't overwater it as overwatering tends to kill plants in winter.

It does like the sun. You could even take cuttings and give them some bottom heat at about 15c. The stems still look quite healthy!

Ask a Question