(for newbees) In case you don't know, contain your mint!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted some mint last year in my herb garden, but didn't do anything to stop it from taking over the rest of my herb garden. It is everywhere now! It grows like a weed, and there is nothing I seem to be able to do about it. Over and over I pick it out of the wrong sections of the garden, but it doesn't matter, it just comes back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
I'm sorry for your luck. I'd suggest looking up growing guides in the future! Nearly every guide I've read says to be careful with mint because it is horribly invasive.

Your best bet is to put a tarp down or a thick layer of newspaper with some mulch. You won't be able to plant anything there for the year, but it will kill everything under the layers. Some people use a vinegar and soap mix, but you'd have to be careful not to get it on your other plants and it might not get rid of all the mint.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If you can, lift your other herbs and put them in pots. Then do as Mika suggested with covering the area. I'd suggest black plastic rather than newspaper because mint roots are very tenacious and might just enjoy a subterranean year before popping up again! Black plastic will solarize the soil, which is awful for the beneficial microbes but will take care of stubborn weeds.
If you want mint in the future, plant it in a sunken pot with about 2" of the rim above ground. Any mint that creeps over the rim gets cut off. Or put your mint plant in a pot and keep it on stones or cement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh! I'm so glad I read this. I think I will put my mint in it's own planter. I was planning on making my own medicinal herb garden with mint in it, but mint can hang out on the sidelines. I use a lot of it for intestinal and memory issues so even if it gets a little wild it will be used.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Peach, mint doesn't "get a little wild". It takes over. Mint planted in the ground without any constraints will become lawn. Mint is invasive like the Visigoths were invasive. Keep it in a big pot but never, never just put it in the garden and expect it to behave itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Yes, I learned this with lemon mint, in my own defense though I have to say it does smell lovely when I cut the grass :whistle: Seriously though I was lucky as lemon mint grows almost like a small bush so you can see it and trim off it aggressively. Funny how the things that are suppose to creep like... Oh I Dunno.... ground covers?!! seem to do anything but creep. Luckily I prefer a more cottage style so a nice addition here and there don't bother me to much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Mint is very invasive, it's the easiest plant to grow;) I always plant it in flower pots, because otherwise it would take over the whole garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Peach, mint doesn't "get a little wild". It takes over. Mint planted in the ground without any constraints will become lawn. Mint is invasive like the Visigoths were invasive. Keep it in a big pot but never, never just put it in the garden and expect it to behave itself.
Okay, I will put it in a big pot then. I now know why I like mint. We are kindred spirits! :LOL:

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I made the exact same mistake! Although I planted mine in a large balcony planter with multiple other herbs, which was quickly taken over by mint. I couldn't begin to imagine the nightmare if it ran loose through a whole garden though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your best bet with mint is to grow it in a pot. I used to have a neighbor with out of control mint in her yard and it got to the point in which it was very strong in odor. I find that I only need small amounts of mint and so a little pot if it does just fine for me.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I lived in a house for a short period that had a form of mint planted in the yard that was just taking over the yard, it was every where. The plant did not have an aroma which. would have been nice and maybe a little over whelming as there was so much of it

Ask a Question