Indoor gardening showcase

Reaction score
I love indoor gardening and have over 60 plants in a 2100 sq foot home. I'd have more if I got more sunlight. The plant you see below is a hybrid container plant. There are 5 different plants in the large pot. There's pothos, scindapsus, philodendron, spineless yucca (the stalk plant in the top), and the light-green and white plant looks like it could be a "lipstick plant" except the leaves aren't as thick. If anyone knows the actual name feel free to share.

I started this plant from cuttings, about 6 years ago, and it now stands a little over 6 feet tall. I've re-potted Damacleus (the plants given name) 3-4 times. It's currently in the largest plastic pot I've seen at local nurseries, home depot, or lowes. When it's time to re-pot, I'll have to go with a decorative plastic tub or trash bin, place rocks at the bottom, and punch a couple holes for drainage.

hybrid-plant-spineless-yucca.jpg

hybrid-plant.jpg

Reaction score
Here's a fantastic video on Indoor Gardening ... this guy has to very healthy plants ..

Reaction score
Your plant is really pretty. All the leaves that are cascading from the pot and down to the floor look very healthy and clean. Very abundant. Very nice. 60 plants in a 2100 square foot home? I don't know which I'm jealous of the most, the number of plants you have or the square footage of the house:)!!

Reaction score
That looks great, taskeinc. I'm sure it takes a lot of patience and hard work to have something like that. Thanks for the pictures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I wish I had more indoor space as well. I've read that it isn't a good idea to have plants in the bedroom so I am planning on creating a terrarium so I can have some green without any of the potential issues.

Reaction score
Your plant is really pretty. All the leaves that are cascading from the pot and down to the floor look very healthy and clean. Very abundant. Very nice. 60 plants in a 2100 square foot home? I don't know which I'm jealous of the most, the number of plants you have or the square footage of the house:)!!
Thanks for the compliment, the plant shown above is my favorite, although I have a Silver Queen that sits about 3 feet from Damacleus (that's the name I gave my hybrid container plant) that is growing fast and it's a combination of the dark silver queen and the lighter variety. I have a penchant for combining 2-4 or more plants in one pot. I've already decided what to do when it's time to re-pot Damacleus.. I'm going to use a 44-Gallon Rubbermaid trash can with handles, put a few holes in the bottom and a few medium size rocks to help with drainage, then I will set it on top of a 2-3 foot table (at the present time it sits on a 3-foot stool). I will allow the leaves to grow down to the floor and prune each stem about 1 inch from the floor. The more I prune it, the thicker the plant gets.

I mist my plants daily and that is what helps to make them look so healthy and clean. There was a time when I used leaf shine but I read where that's not always healthy for plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I will have to try that ,never think to put a tall plant with a draping plant when I do my plants and know the rule too

Reaction score
Very nice looking. I assume you can breathe easier with all that oxygen in your home? I like what looks like a bottle of some cat deterrent? My cats would be all over a plant like this. Does that work?

Reaction score
That looks great, taskeinc. I'm sure it takes a lot of patience and hard work to have something like that. Thanks for the pictures!
Actually once you find a good spot for the plant, keep the insects away, it's not difficult to care for at all. I mist the plant, all my plants, almost every day, and they love the mist. The hybrid container plant, I prune about once a month or so, just to keep the leaves about one-inch from the floor. Pruning the plant makes it grow thicker and that's why it looks so full.

Reaction score
Very nice looking. I assume you can breathe easier with all that oxygen in your home? I like what looks like a bottle of some cat deterrent? My cats would be all over a plant like this. Does that work?
I laughed when I read, "looks like a bottle of some cat deterrent." I'm not into cats at all, no offense to cat-lovers. I probably could not have as many plants as I do if I owned a cat. I have had a poodle (for 15 years) and a Shizuh for about 4 years, and I was able to train both to leave the plants ALONE. I don't think I could train a cat to leave my plants alone, therefore, he or she would have to go. What is pictured is a bottle of Garden Safe Houseplant and Garden Insect Killer Spray.

Reaction score
I wish I had more indoor space as well. I've read that it isn't a good idea to have plants in the bedroom so I am planning on creating a terrarium so I can have some green without any of the potential issues.

My plants are outside and it's been a while since I've had houseplants because of my ex's phobias about indoor plants being "dirty".

Why is it a bad idea to have plants in the bedroom? What are the "issues"?
I like the terrarium idea but I didn't know that not having plants in bedrooms was a thing. Now that I think about it, I never see plants in people's bedrooms.

Reaction score
I love indoor gardening and have over 60 plants in a 2100 sq foot home. I'd have more if I got more sunlight. The plant you see below is a hybrid container plant. There are 5 different plants in the large pot. There's pothos, scindapsus, philodendron, spineless yucca (the stalk plant in the top), and the light-green and white plant looks like it could be a "lipstick plant" except the leaves aren't as thick. If anyone knows the actual name feel free to share.

I started this plant from cuttings, about 6 years ago, and it now stands a little over 6 feet tall. I've re-potted Damacleus (the plants given name) 3-4 times. It's currently in the largest plastic pot I've seen at local nurseries, home depot, or lowes. When it's time to re-pot, I'll have to go with a decorative plastic tub or trash bin, place rocks at the bottom, and punch a couple holes for drainage.

hybrid-plant-spineless-yucca.jpg

hybrid-plant.jpg
Wow. Your plants are gorgeous. I mentioned in another thread that I haven't had houseplants in over a decade because my ex had a phobia of indoor plants and thought they were dirty and full of earthworms.

Your obvious pleasure from this hobby inspires me to want to take up indoor gardening when I find another apartment and get settled.
Your pictures are inspiring and I'm looking forward to moving on and getting some houseplants.

Reaction score
Wow. Your plants are gorgeous. I mentioned in another thread that I haven't had houseplants in over a decade because my ex had a phobia of indoor plants and thought they were dirty and full of earthworms.

Your obvious pleasure from this hobby inspires me to want to take up indoor gardening when I find another apartment and get settled.
Your pictures are inspiring and I'm looking forward to moving on and getting some houseplants.
Thanks so much Acsapa, for your kind words about my plants.. I'm not sure why your ex thought plants were "dirty and full of earthworms," as plants and trees are vital to our survival and the primary reason why they are here, and why we are here... Once you bring the plants indoors, it certainly becomes your responsibility to keep them healthy, but that doesn't take much work, especially if it's something you like to do ..

You will enjoy your houseplants once you find another apartment, and if you ever need help, or advice about any type of houseplant feel free to holla at me, or anyone else here that is familiar with houseplants .. I started another one, that will be similar to the one pictured above .. here it is ..

little-hybrid.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks so much Acsapa, for your kind words about my plants.. I'm not sure why your ex thought plants were "dirty and full of earthworms," as plants and trees are vital to our survival and the primary reason why they are here, and why we are here... Once you bring the plants indoors, it certainly becomes your responsibility to keep them healthy, but that doesn't take much work, especially if it's something you like to do ..

You will enjoy your houseplants once you find another apartment, and if you ever need help, or advice about any type of houseplant feel free to holla at me, or anyone else here that is familiar with houseplants .. I started another one, that will be similar to the one pictured above .. here it is ..

little-hybrid.jpg

I think my ex thought that since plants are grown outside, then they must be infested with outside pests. I like earthworms, so I wouldn't be upset at all if I found one in a plant. I once saw an earthworm that seemed to be hopping off the hot sidewalk in obvious pain, so I picked him up and put him in the shade. I'm just glad I moved him before he got cooked.

Your new plants look like they're off to a good start. What's in the glass bottle?

Reaction score
I think my ex thought that since plants are grown outside, then they must be infested with outside pests. I like earthworms, so I wouldn't be upset at all if I found one in a plant. I once saw an earthworm that seemed to be hopping off the hot sidewalk in obvious pain, so I picked him up and put him in the shade. I'm just glad I moved him before he got cooked.

Your new plants look like they're off to a good start. What's in the glass bottle?
No, the glass bottle in the picture, I recently started a terrarium in that particular bottle. The plants in the pot are a combination of 3 smaller plants that I had, I combined them all in one pot and added a Yucca plant or stalk in the middle that, when it begins to grow, will be similar to the larger one pictured above. I'll keep you updated by posting pictures every couple of months or so, if you are interested.

Also, worms won't live indoors even if they are in soil, they will live for a short while but if you're truly caring for the plant, and spraying it periodically, for pest, worms won't thrive in that environment.

Ask a Question