Indoor Gardening for a Loved One

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, all!

So, I am looking for some advice. Mostly on what to buy my girlfriend but, also, what to find for myself. She has a stressful job working with recovering addicts and one of the most calming activities in my life has been gardening and, in general, just looking at beautiful plants. I'd like to get an indoor terrarium type setup that she can keep in her office as I think it will be peaceful for her to be around things she helped to live/grow.

On my end, I spend a lot of time underwater on a submarine and would like to find a setup that allows me to provide some care but doesn't require too much. I'm also nearing the end of my contract and will, most likely, be moving far from here so some plants that could withstand the travels would be good.

Anyway, I'm fairly new to this whole thing. I'd like to focus more on what to get my girlfriend but any information/advice/websites would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I think a terrarium would be a very thoughtful gift. I have heard that aquariums are also particularly soothing.

How far away? Do you have a destination? or is the idea still a work in progress?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
I used to work in an organization whose focus was in treating the mentally ill. I understand her stress. I kept an ivy plant in my office. It was the small dark green ivy that vines. This is the kind of ivy used in small topiaries found in florist shops. I found a small plant in a gardening store and put it in a pot then took a wire clothes hanger and took the hanger apart. I reshaped the wire into a heart (you can twist the wire into any shape) and placed it in the pot with ivy. The ivy loved the lights in my office and grew. As it grew I gently wound the vines onto the heart and mother nature did the rest. Plants are indeed a stress reliever. Nature can provide peace and serenity.

Ask a Question