The case for heirloom seeds

Reaction score
If you've ever debated whether to go with heirloom seeds or not, watching this video might help you decide. I will use only heirloom, non gmo seeds. You can buy the full movie for $20 or rent it online, or if you shop and amazon.com you can get the movie geneticroulette for a few dollars less.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yup, never liked the idea of GMO, I can understand the need for increased yields, but it seems companies are putting profit before safety.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Tbh, the idea that world hunger can be solved by GMOs is attractive to me, prima facie.

World hunger isn't caused by a shortage of food, however, so increasing yields won't solve it either.

Reaction score
GMOs seems like one of those things with "the best intentions" yet capitalism, profits and greed corrupted the whole idea. I only ever use organic heirloom seeds from local farmers, independent growers, and online seed exchanges. Knowing that someone took the time to grow it, nurture the plant and preserve the seeds properly makes me much more comfortable than these franken-beans the government wants us all to believe are "safe." o_O

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, like Bees says, it's a good idea in principle, just that profit got in the way :(

Reaction score
I doubt it ever was about solving world hunger. If it was, they would have stopped in just a few years, because it didn't produce higher yields, just bugs that were resistant to whatever chemical or bacteria they inserted into the dna.

Look what they did with aspartame/NutraSweet, The KNEW it was bad, they were trying to make an insecticide when the accidently found out they made a very sweet substance. They have spent billions to produce tests that were designed to prove it was safe, but if you look at the research, it's highly flawed. Most of their tests, for example, were for only about a 1 month period. It took many, many years to almost kill me and alter my life forever. Not 4 or 6 weeks!

It's all about greed.

Reaction score
I do not have any hard data that GMOs are bad things, but I do not like the idea of eating them. There is no logic to it, but feelings do not have to be logical. GMOs are not appetizing, and I would really rather eat the foods without the added genes!

If GMO's were labeled as such I would not buy them, and neither would a lot of other people. That is probably why they are NOT labeled, which I kind of resent!

Reaction score
I have not extensively studied the data either but as for being a direct detriment to your health....however I cannot imagine its healthy eating a plant that is able to survive being barraged with pesticides, herbicides, and other -cides because Mr. Scientist tweaked its DNA a little...Like Meowmie said with aspartame, if you throw enough money at the regulatory boards they will begin to nod in your favor

Reaction score
If you haven't watched the movie "geneticroulette" yet, you should. You don't have to buy it, you can rent it for $3 I think and watch it online. I saw it when they had on free for one day. This stuff is really bad. Hamsters on gmo weren't able to reproduce after the third generation, it causes liver and other organ damage, there is so much. Monsanto is trying to keep it hidden but it's getting out anyway.

The really freaky thing is some of the dna changes after you stop eating them don't go away. Like the formaldehyde aspartame turns into, it doesn't leave the body.

Seriously, does anyone really want to eat one of the main components of Agent Orange? That's what is in 90% of the corn produced in 2013, along with other things. For those that don't know, that is what the USA used in Vietnam to kill all the vegetation so they could see the enemy. And most of those that were exposed to it had severe effects from it.

And it's also in all the products made from corn. Cornstarch, Cornmeal, tortillas, corn flour. And the chickens and cows and pork and fish in fish farms that eat the feed made from the corn. Soy is almost all GMO now and they put soy in one form or another in almost everything. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor, watch it, and get them to watch it, and do some research. This stuff is deadly.

Reaction score
It is terrifying what is happening to our food supply. All with thoughts for the here and now instead of looking at all the damage caused down the line. That is one of the reasons I am a huge fan and proponent of permaculture. Instead of looking at ways to fight, corrupt and tweak mother nature permaculture uses the same principle she uses to heal herself and keep nature happy. There has never been a need to fertilize or fumigate a forest as the natural systems in place keep all levels of the ecosystem healthy. I have been trying to study and understand these principles for years and I hope more people notice what is happening before its too late, and sadly I think it is going to take a huge ecological disaster to pull the wool off of the general public's eyes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Fortunately, people are starting to complain in the right places. Congratulations to the people in Vermont, as it is the first state to approve GMO labeling.

http://www.naturalnews.com/044853_GMO_food_labeling_laws_Vermont.html

I always read the ingredients before buying anything. If it has corn, or soy, or it says "hydrogenated" or sugar free, or other stuff like that, it doesn't end up in my basket anymore. That's why I started gardening this year, too. I want to grow my own food so I know what I'm eating.

Ask a Question